German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Kazell

Jan-2

I agree with that, that's why I said if actually developed as a breed, not just mixed up and thrown around. The doodle craze I hate with a passion and I agree many people do end up struggling with them.  A lot aren't aware of how intensive/expensive the grooming requirements are either. They hear no shedding and no allergies (roll of the dice) and think of what a perfect dog. They don't realize they need regular coat maintenance. Aussiedoodles are a thing in my area now because they could make merle dogs which will sell for more. That I imagine is just a trainwreck waiting to happen.

Also one of the breeders of GSDs I personally dislike in my area got malinois and has started breeding them to her shepherds. One guy thought he had a purebred dog called it a belgian shepherd that he was rehoming. I've seen 3-4 of the puppies in her first litter rehomed already. For some reason I've seen at least 2 possibly 3 different belgian malinois/plott hound mix litters. Some of those pups have been rehomed/ended up in the shelter already, can't imagine those crosses will go well cause I can't imagine responsible owners of those two breeds wanting a mix of the two and as far as I can tell they went to average joe pet homes as evidenced by all the rehoming.

The mixing and selling dogs just really has gotten out of control in the past 3 years in my area. I actually hope the facebook banning of pet sales puts a dent in it. Think facebook just made it too easy.

In reply toRe: msg 6
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-2

There aren’t as many pet sales here because adopting is a big deal. Of course, 90% of the dogs are pits or out mixes so people who want to adopt a purebred or a good mixed breed have to look somewhere else.

Those Mal crosses were bred sloppily. They can be very good dogs if care goes into selecting the parents.  

I wonder what happens if they breed two Merle crosses. Do they get the recessive problem they do with two Merle Aussies?

Kazell

Jan-2

Yes double merle can cause issues regardless of breed as it's the same gene. You can breed two merles of a different breed and still have the chance of double merles. 

Kazell

Jan-2

It's also not a recessive problem. Merle is dominant and it's the dogs who get two copies who usually get issues such as deafness and eye problems. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-3

I looked up Merle Doodles and they don’t even look pretty.  The one I saw looked scruffy.

Solitaire13

Jan-3

Maybe that's their charm.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-3

https://www.petguide.com/breeds/dog/aussiedoodle/

OMG, this:

Kazell

Jan-3

They're cute as puppies and that's when they sell them. The ones I've seen are almost always pure Aussie parent that is Merle plus a doodle. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-3

I suppose we can get used to anything if we start with them as cute puppies. We grow to love our dogs for their personalities as much as how they look.

We put our trust in the AKC.  Have had only four dogs in 53 yrs of marriage.  Didn’t have the first one until 1979 when our sons were big enough that they could not be licked on the face/mouth against their wishes.  Got a wonderful GSD one yr old that the couple who had adopted him could not keep.  Had him thirteen years.  Next two were magnificent Rotties.  Both died of abdominal cancer tumors but made ten and a half and eleven and a half, not a bad life span for a Rottweiler. Two years ago we adopted our Romy, now three.  The day we picked her up she was instantly our dog and we were her family.  She is a purebred GSD found stray near Fresno and unclaimed.  Lucky us!  Yesterday my wife gave her a bath using Furminator conditioner and shampoo.  Amazing what happens when one actually reads and follows the directions.  Her coat is unlike it has ever been.  Shiny, smooth, and shedding has been essentially halted. Great products.