German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Cop Demoted After He Dumps Retired Police Dog At Animal Shelter   Controversies, Catastrophes and Teaky Moments (Enter at your own risk)

Started Dec-27 by Solitaire13; 335 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-28

Is that a Lab?  If he couldn’t keep the dog, why not find another home? It’s possible he was assigned a new dog that didn’t get along with the old one or he was just in a situation where he couldn’t keep the dog. There aren’t any details.  Couldn’t someine help him rehome rather than taking the dog to a shelter?

i know someone who got a seeing eye dog that did not get along with  their personal pet so they dumped an elderly lab in the shelter that same day. They were delusional thinking their dog would find a good home.  But the group who gave them the guide dog was going to take it back if they didn’t clear their house.

Solitaire13

Dec-29

They didn't provide enough details. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Dec-29

An Officer Placed a Retired Police Dog in a Shelter. Now He's Been Demoted.

Ringo worked nine years for the Jackson Police Department's narcotics team. The department recently learned he was taken to a shelter after he left the force in October.

Marypickford

Jan-19

They should have put up an ad and checked out the new owners first. Half the time dumping a dog at the pound means they die in a month or so, unless its no-kill.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-20

Most shelters now are no kill, but that isn’t always a good thing. Then they feel pressure to adopt out dangerous dogs.

Marypickford

Jan-20

Hmm- I never thought about that. Thanks for giving me food for thought.  How do no-kill shelters handle biters and over aggressive animals?

After some research- I find you can be correct, though some sources claim a no kill shelter won't take a dog with a known bite. Other articles try to convince an owner who has an over aggressive animal to take other steps. 

One option is to isolate the dog. I know about this option. We had an over aggressive-impulsive german shepherd pup that had to be isolated whenever we had company, including our grandmother! We eventually outplaced him, unable to handle its energy level and aggressiveness. The only other time we did this was when we had a dog with epilepsy, and that dog was put to sleep.

I do have a problem with people that bring over aggressive or unpredictable dogs into the public. One almost bit me, after giving every sign of being friendly- mind you, I know dogs. I told the owner that perhaps that dog ought to be kept in the house. He did not respond in a friendly way. I later found out he was mentally less capacitated, so to speak, and the dog was probably his 'emotional support' animal. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jan-20

The secret is no kill shelters have an out if a dog can’t be saved.  If there is an incurable disease or illness they can put the dog down, just as a vet would with a pet.  Rescues try not to take dogs with bite histories but if they get a shelter dog and find they can’t handle it, they are not going adopt it out.  They have vets on call who euthanize dogs they can’t keep and can’t place.  If you ask, they will say they don’t but a rescue volunteer told me it happens.