German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Ivan Balabanov    Behavior and Training

Started 2/7/20 by Solitaire13; 1463 views.
Solitaire13

Jul-2

I just saw where Tyler Muto said that he works his puppies off leash for recall until they are around six or seven months old. He said that his puppies have plenty of practice with recalls in controlled environments prior to that.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-3

That could be how he  gets his dogs to heel so nicely.  I work my boy off leash. His heeling is crisper without it, but he still sometimes likes to get directed and break the heel.  So I have to go back to a leash. 

Solitaire13

Jul-3

He works a lot with leash pressure, almost like one would with an e collar, turning off the pressure/stim. It's pretty interesting.  I am going to do some more serious conversational leash training with mine. I see lots of merit to it.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jul-3

I will too.  I use leash pressure when we work on sit boxes. We are working on Back.  I got lazy and never taught him,  but the little genius remembered from our few sessions and now he goes back.  He turns around and walks to the back box. I would rather he just back up. He also knows Reverse which is going straight back.

Showtalk
Host

Sep-16

What reinforces it?

Solitaire13

Sep-16

That you have to find out from the dog.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-17

Owners must be very aware of their dogs’ behavioral traits and tendencies.