German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jay Jack, dog trainer    Behavior and Training

Started Jun-26 by Solitaire13; 345 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

That is weird. I have never heard of him before and I’m not interested in following him.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I have a hard time believing that someone as "popular" as he appears to be, as a dog trainer, would express public dislike of Toy breed dogs. It makes me wonder if he is displacing his discomfort with the number of Toy breed dogs maimed and killed by Pits with a sublimal bashing of the little dogs. After all, it is easier to blame the victim rather than your less than perfect dangerous breed.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I don’t like toy breeds or pits.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I have only owned one small breed mix and I had to rehome him as he kept attacking my German Shepherds. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I’ve never owned one, ever!  My smallest was a herding dog.

Kazell

Jun-27

Have you ever met any well bred and/or well trained small breed dogs? A lot of the ones I’ve met are babied and untrained. Among some other issues. But I’ve also met some great well trained/raised ones. My grandpa used to raise yorkies so I was around some amazing yorkies when I was younger, only one left now but he’s a good pup. We had a chihuahua/Pekingese we got from a family friend, he was a spoiled brat with her but shaped up into an good dog after we worked with him a bit and actually treated him like a dog. 

If it wasn’t for teeth problems there are a couple of small breeds I’d be interested in, some of them are incredibly trainable and extremely intelligent. The chi/peke mix was probably the most intelligent dog I’ve ever personally met. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

Not one. They have all been aggressive and yappy.  A Jack Russell was cute but still barked at my dogs all the time. Another little dog, I think a Cairn, was not too bad but still got into a fight with my female. Mostly little snips and growls.  She growled back.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I like Poms.  I would also consider a Schipperke.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-28

Poms are cute, but have teeth problems. Our friends had several of them.

Solitaire13

Jun-28

I think teeth problems are prevalent in Toy breeds, teeth are too big for the mouth.