German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jay Jack, dog trainer    Behavior and Training

Started Jun-26 by Solitaire13; 344 views.
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I don’t like toy breeds or pits.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I have only owned one small breed mix and I had to rehome him as he kept attacking my German Shepherds. 

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

I’ve never owned one, ever!  My smallest was a herding dog.

Kazell

Jun-27

Have you ever met any well bred and/or well trained small breed dogs? A lot of the ones I’ve met are babied and untrained. Among some other issues. But I’ve also met some great well trained/raised ones. My grandpa used to raise yorkies so I was around some amazing yorkies when I was younger, only one left now but he’s a good pup. We had a chihuahua/Pekingese we got from a family friend, he was a spoiled brat with her but shaped up into an good dog after we worked with him a bit and actually treated him like a dog. 

If it wasn’t for teeth problems there are a couple of small breeds I’d be interested in, some of them are incredibly trainable and extremely intelligent. The chi/peke mix was probably the most intelligent dog I’ve ever personally met. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

Not one. They have all been aggressive and yappy.  A Jack Russell was cute but still barked at my dogs all the time. Another little dog, I think a Cairn, was not too bad but still got into a fight with my female. Mostly little snips and growls.  She growled back.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I like Poms.  I would also consider a Schipperke.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-28

Poms are cute, but have teeth problems. Our friends had several of them.

Solitaire13

Jun-28

I think teeth problems are prevalent in Toy breeds, teeth are too big for the mouth.

Kazell

Jun-28

I have yet to meet a pom I like, but they have not been among the breeds that were owned by good owners that I've met. Had one try to attack or technically did (for a little dog) bite and go for Shelby as we walked by. That dog was lucky Shelby was just confused and not a reactive dog. I can see how they get attacked by other dogs so often, they can be nasty. I will admit I cannot stand dachshunds, have yet to meet a decent one. I know far too many who have had serious bites on people, if they'd been bigger dogs I have no doubt they would have seriously hurt people beyond deep puncture wounds and bruising on the ankles/lower leg.

I was really worried about little kids getting bit on the hands by them and potentially losing fingers etc