German Shepherd Dog Forum

Hosted by Showtalk

Promoting responsible German Shepherd Dog ownership

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jay Jack, dog trainer    Behavior and Training

Started Jun-26 by Solitaire13; 347 views.
Kazell

Jun-27

Have you ever met any well bred and/or well trained small breed dogs? A lot of the ones I’ve met are babied and untrained. Among some other issues. But I’ve also met some great well trained/raised ones. My grandpa used to raise yorkies so I was around some amazing yorkies when I was younger, only one left now but he’s a good pup. We had a chihuahua/Pekingese we got from a family friend, he was a spoiled brat with her but shaped up into an good dog after we worked with him a bit and actually treated him like a dog. 

If it wasn’t for teeth problems there are a couple of small breeds I’d be interested in, some of them are incredibly trainable and extremely intelligent. The chi/peke mix was probably the most intelligent dog I’ve ever personally met. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-27

Not one. They have all been aggressive and yappy.  A Jack Russell was cute but still barked at my dogs all the time. Another little dog, I think a Cairn, was not too bad but still got into a fight with my female. Mostly little snips and growls.  She growled back.

Solitaire13

Jun-27

I like Poms.  I would also consider a Schipperke.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-28

Poms are cute, but have teeth problems. Our friends had several of them.

Solitaire13

Jun-28

I think teeth problems are prevalent in Toy breeds, teeth are too big for the mouth.

Kazell

Jun-28

I have yet to meet a pom I like, but they have not been among the breeds that were owned by good owners that I've met. Had one try to attack or technically did (for a little dog) bite and go for Shelby as we walked by. That dog was lucky Shelby was just confused and not a reactive dog. I can see how they get attacked by other dogs so often, they can be nasty. I will admit I cannot stand dachshunds, have yet to meet a decent one. I know far too many who have had serious bites on people, if they'd been bigger dogs I have no doubt they would have seriously hurt people beyond deep puncture wounds and bruising on the ankles/lower leg.

I was really worried about little kids getting bit on the hands by them and potentially losing fingers etc

Solitaire13

Jun-28

Dachshunds are notorious for their "game", like a Pit Bull,  so that does not surprise me.

Dachshunds by function are not hounds but terriers. They hunt their prey by going to ground. Terrier derives from a term that means to go to ground.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Jun-28

I grew up around Doxies and at that time, they were all very good dogs. Very well behaved.  But more recently, I saw a dog bite it’s owner’s child in the face and when I started the call 911, the mom told me to mind my own business and shouted at her son that it was his fault.  His cheek was gushing blood.  We were at the park, so I got someone there to do first aid.  Then they left and imdintI know what happened. I’d forgotten about that until you mentioned the breed.

The Poms I knew were all rescues from a breeder.  The best ones were the males that were not sued for breeding, so were purchased young. Or rescued, I am not sure which.  The worst was a female that was bred and kept in a cage until she was 8. She was terrified of everything.  The new owner did no training but her dogs always got along with their big dogs and my GSDs.

DW (GSDogwalker)

Sep-12

Balabanov. What did you conclude?