People doing good -  Doing good in these bad times (59 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-24 7:21 AM 
To: All  (1 of 4) 

Incredibly kind things Hoosiers are doing for each other during the coronavirus pandemic

This coronavirus pandemic is, well, let's be blunt, absolutely brutal. Lost lives, fear of getting sick, agony over making ends meet, thoughts of things never being the same and the steady loss of the human touch that Hoosiers hold so dear has us all on edge.

We need a little kindness during this crisis

So we're sharing stories of generosity, good deeds, blessings shared, those things that we in Indiana know as "Hoosier hospitality.

Teachers parade in cars to see students

The closure of schools has been hard on kids, parents and teachers. To help stay connected at a safe distance, teachers from Noblesville's North Elementary Schools drove through neighborhoods to wave and honk at their students and their families.

“We’ve gotten to see them on our screens, and there’s nothing like being able to see them face to face,” said second-grade teacher Stephanie Etchison, who helped organize the parade. “It was challenging not to walk up and hug them. We are elementary teachers and we thrive on their hugs.”

Girl Scouts donate thousands of cookies to Red Cross blood donors

As companies and schools shut down in the wake of the coronavirus, so have blood drives — resulting in the loss of thousands of potential donations. On Friday, the Girl Scouts of Central Indiana delivered more than 4,700 packages of Girl Scout Cookies to the American Red Cross to encourage Hoosiers to donate blood.

Tucker Barnhart pays for dinners at 2 Zionsville restaurants

Cincinnati Reds catcher and Indianapolis native Tucker Barnhart and wife Sierra are doing their part to help local businesses and families in need.

The Barnharts bought $500 gift cards to Amore Pizzeria Ristorante and Friendly Tavern and gave $25 per meal to customers at the two restaurants, Barnhart announced on Twitter.

“In hopes to give back and help through this trying time in our country, my family felt like providing families with meals tonight is a great place to start,” Barnhart said on Twitter. “Obviously, throughout the country and world, small businesses run the risk of struggling to make ends meet.

Coronavirus caroling 

It may not be neighbors singing together from their balconies, but residents in IndyStar reporter Tony Cook's neighborhood are entertaining one another by performing Lil Nas X's "Old Town Road."

More at 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/incredibly-kind-things-hoosiers-are-doing-for-each-other-during-the-coronavirus-pandemic/ar-BB11tBhz

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-24 7:26 AM 
To: All  (2 of 4) 
 292.2 in reply to 292.1 

Kindness of volunteer army shines in the dark days of coronavirus isolation

Big-hearted Britain defied the coronavirus chaos this week with acts of kindness that revealed the nation’s extraordinary strength of spirit.

From neighbours offering to help with shopping to pubs delivering beer and free meals, the country has shown its best, despite the fear and anxiety triggered by the outbreak.

Ruby Porritt, who is 12, and her brother Kit, ten, launched a ‘kindness patrol’ to check on elderly and vulnerable neighbours in Woodbridge, Suffolk.

The caring siblings put up posters and distributed leaflets asking ‘Do you need our help?’ and offering to do shopping, walk dogs or send letters and drawings to cheer up anyone forced to self-isolate.

Their proud mother Ellen said the pair had been worried after seeing reports about panic buying, and feared their elderly neighbours might be left with nothing. She said: ‘It’s grown into something really special. I’m very proud of them. This is a time for communities to support each other.’

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/good-news/joyous-proof-its-not-all-bad-news-kindness-of-volunteer-army-shines-in-the-dark-days-of-coronavirus-isolation/ar-BB11Ak9M

From: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-24 7:35 AM 
To: All  (3 of 4) 
 292.3 in reply to 292.2 

15-Year-Old Girl is Giving Away Hundreds of Free ‘Sanitation Kits’ to Homeless People

This 15-year-old girl is helping to protect some of California’s most vulnerable people from the dangers of the novel coronavirus outbreaks.

Shaivi Shah has rallied her fellow honor society students into helping her give away more than 250 low-cost “sanitation kits” to homeless shelters around Los Angeles.

Each kit contains hand sanitizer, lotion, antibacterial soap, and handmade reusable face masks to help homeless people stay safe during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Although the Tesoro High School student already has an impressive track record for charity work, she says that she was inspired to pursue this particular labor of love after hearing Gov. Gavin Newsom’s recent speech on addressing the state’s homelessness crisis.

“They don’t have necessities right now that are crucial to remain clean and stay germ-free,” Shaivi told CNN. “It’s important for people to step in and just do whatever they can, even if it helps just one person.”

Shaivi has since launched a GoFundMe campaign to raise additional funds for expanding her initiative outside of Los Angeles. The page has already raised more than $13,000 in nine days.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/teen-gives-away-250-free-sanitation-kits-to-homeless-people/

To: Gimmie Chocolate Shorty (TOILETHEA1) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 4) 
 292.4 in reply to 292.1 

Such efforts as you posted is what saved San Francisco compared to other cities during the pandemic, unfairly called Spanish flu.*

_____

*mpte that I said "unfair" because this was during WWI, when censorship on both sides censored information regarding it as it might undermine the war effort. However

Spain, in that war was neutral, no censorship, so it was pinned on them because they reported it. One theory is that started in the countries of the protagonists, and was

spread by the living conditions that are typical of the military where large numbers of people are living away from home in close quarters. I have no problems pinning

the source of this flu on China as the evidence suggests, but note its first appearance was in Saudi Arabia about 15 years ago. The common denominator is that scientists

believe it evolved through animals and jumped to humans in places where live animals were sold to customers in food markets (still true in Saudi Arabia and China, and

when I was a kid, this practice was still common in the U.S. and U.K. until their respective health departments banned it (note not banned in much of Latin America at present).

As a point of interest, my house here in Spain still has a "W" shaped hook in the arch connecting my first two romos, I left it there because it is historical and common in

most houses here, but when I retiled the floor, I removed the grill which used to catch the blood in the days when animals were slaughtered at home. Not that we are primitive

or anything, but many here still use the hook for the scale for weighing kids, or produce.

Reply   Options 

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.