GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Election FAIL, Fraud & Intimidation   Elections

Started by Cstar1; 61103 views.
Cstar1
Host

10/23/12

With both presidential campaigns focusing their attention on the critical swing state of Ohio, officials in the northeastern county of Ottawa discovered late last week that they had sent out 2,200 notices telling voters that election day was Thursday, Nov. 8, instead of the actual date, Tuesday, Nov. 6., the Washington Post reports.

The Associated Press reported that Carol Ann Hill, deputy director of the county's Board of Elections, said 7 percent of the 30,000 registered voters in the county were mailed incorrect postcards. Hill added that the relatively small percentage "doesn't make it any better."

more

Cstar1
Host

10/23/12

I think we'll put this one here, instead.

To: Cstar1  Delphi Forums Staff DelphiPlusMember Icon (2 of 2) 
 266.2 in reply to 266.1 

Not sure this is the same idea...I need to read your link better...but Rachel Maddow covered the fact that AZ sends out voter ID cards in both Spanish and English.   The English portion of the voter id law correctly identifies to date of the Election as Tuesday, November 6, 2012.   The SPANISH language part of the voter ID card identifies the date of the election as....wait for it....

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 8, 2012.

CruisingCats

10/23/12

Now why does that NOT seem like a simple error to me? Especially since I've had to have forms made up, back when I was a manager and we still used paper documentation. After we made the forms the printer gave us a copy to proof and approve. We would go through the forms with a fine-tooth comb.
Jeri (azpaints)

10/23/12

You know how you get those tickles in your brain that something is trying to get through?

I believe this has happened before.  I'm having some computer issues (Windows Installer has died) but maybe someone can search for the 2004 elections and see if it happened then...For some reason I'm thinking it happened in the southern states area - same thing.  Spanish ballots used a Thursday date.

Cstar1
Host

10/23/12

It's not a simple error, it's an inexcusable one. I have a hard time believing it's anything but fraud.
Cstar1
Host

10/23/12

I don't specifically remember a Spanish/English situation, but I do remember some notices going out in 2008 that told dems & reps that they had different voting days.
Jeri (azpaints)

10/23/12

Spent the am restoring the puter, so haven't had a chance to check this out yet, but glad to know I wasn't the only one that remembered this being a repeat.

eta:  Found it, or something close to it...

Deceptive Practices

Some forms of voter suppression are less conspicuous efforts aimed at keeping voters away from the polls or otherwise interfering with their votes. Earlier this year, a chief aide and a campaign consultant to former Republican Maryland Gov. Bob Ehrlich, who in 2010 unsuccessfully ran to reclaim his seat from current Democratic Gov. Martin O’Malley, were indicted for allegedly sending robocalls to African American voters on Election Day telling them to stay home. The message on the call said, “I’m calling to let everyone know that Governor O'Malley and President Obama have been successful. Our goals have been met. The polls were correct… We’re okay. Relax. Everything is fine. The only thing left is to watch on TV tonight.”

In Texas that same year, flyers bearing the names of a phony Democratic group, ”The Black Democratic Trust of Texas,” dishonestly said that voters who wanted to vote for a straight Democratic ticket only had to vote for the Democratic candidate for governor. Hispanic voters in Los Angeles received mysterious robocalls and mailers telling them to vote the day after Election Day in 2010.

http://www.pfaw.org/rww-in-focus/the-right-to-vote-under-attack-the-campaign-to-keep-millions-of-americans-from-the-ball

• Edited 10/23/2012 4:20 pm by Jeri (azpaints)
In reply toRe: msg 9
Cstar1
Host

10/24/12

Efforts to mislead, pressure voters intensify

WASHINGTON - Some voters are being told they can cast their ballot by phone. Others are being pressured by their employer to vote Republican. Misleading and intimidating tactics typically reserved for the final days before an election are already in play.  Full Article