GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rape   Law & Disorder

Started 12/29/12 by Cstar1; 47020 views.
George (GMCC)

6/17/13

Sounds to me like (from the article) that they prefer the head-in-the-sand method of dealing with this. If they didn't see it then it obviously didn't happen.

Cstar1
Host

6/18/13

Unfortunately, that's true.
In reply toRe: msg 72
Cstar1
Host

7/13/13

Australian woman gang-raped in Dubai - then jailed for 8 months for sex outside of marriage. Why she's suing the Australian government.
In reply toRe: msg 74
Cstar1
Host

7/22/13

frees Norwegian woman sentenced to jail for “illicit sex” after she reported being raped while on visit to Dubai

Jeri (azpaints)

7/22/13

I'm glad she is being set free....

But why are they freeing her rapist?
Cstar1
Host

7/22/13

Jeri (azpaints) says:
But why are they freeing her rapist?
I hadn't read that they were. But maybe because they were both accused of extramarital sex, not rape.
Cstar1
Host

7/24/13

The University of Colorado Boulder reported it is being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights over its handling of an alleged sexual assault involving a student.

Denver Post
In reply toRe: msg 78
Cstar1
Host

8/2/13

Oh nos! Written reprimands!

Yale, you seem like a lovely little college, with your charming brick buildings and all that ivy, and a student body filled with young eager minds who use “summer” as a verb and have collectively donated dozens of extracurricular hours teaching inner city youth how to yacht. Oh, and of course your ever-so-sensitive and tolerant policy toward rapists:

The word “rape” does not factor into Yale’s new report on how the university is handling sexual misconduct; instead, the act is described as “nonconsensual sex,” and it’s usually punishable by “written reprimand.” [...]

Read more at http://wonkette.com/#9uVKVyDfYVVyjqVP.99 
CruisingCats

8/3/13

Suspension, and in the case of Duke, expulsion?! How is that a punishment for rape? Destroy a woman's sense of self and safety, force yourself on her, possibly injure her physically, transmit a disease to her, possibly make her pregnant against her will and then give the rapist a 10 minutes in the corner? Why aren't they going to jail, like they should be?

Nothing changes, does it? When I was in college 36 years ago we had a rapist enter our dorm and rape on two different occasions. The raped victims ended up leaving school. Nothing happened to the rapists. And we could only find out about the rapes by reading another town's (about 60 minutes away) newspapers, because it wasn't allowed to be printed about in local papers.