GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rape   Law & Disorder

Started 12/29/12 by Cstar1; 47275 views.
Cstar1
Host

7/22/13

Jeri (azpaints) says:
But why are they freeing her rapist?
I hadn't read that they were. But maybe because they were both accused of extramarital sex, not rape.
Cstar1
Host

7/24/13

The University of Colorado Boulder reported it is being investigated by the U.S. Department of Education Office of Civil Rights over its handling of an alleged sexual assault involving a student.

Denver Post
In reply toRe: msg 78
Cstar1
Host

8/2/13

Oh nos! Written reprimands!

Yale, you seem like a lovely little college, with your charming brick buildings and all that ivy, and a student body filled with young eager minds who use “summer” as a verb and have collectively donated dozens of extracurricular hours teaching inner city youth how to yacht. Oh, and of course your ever-so-sensitive and tolerant policy toward rapists:

The word “rape” does not factor into Yale’s new report on how the university is handling sexual misconduct; instead, the act is described as “nonconsensual sex,” and it’s usually punishable by “written reprimand.” [...]

Read more at http://wonkette.com/#9uVKVyDfYVVyjqVP.99 
CruisingCats

8/3/13

Suspension, and in the case of Duke, expulsion?! How is that a punishment for rape? Destroy a woman's sense of self and safety, force yourself on her, possibly injure her physically, transmit a disease to her, possibly make her pregnant against her will and then give the rapist a 10 minutes in the corner? Why aren't they going to jail, like they should be?

Nothing changes, does it? When I was in college 36 years ago we had a rapist enter our dorm and rape on two different occasions. The raped victims ended up leaving school. Nothing happened to the rapists. And we could only find out about the rapes by reading another town's (about 60 minutes away) newspapers, because it wasn't allowed to be printed about in local papers.

Cstar1
Host

8/3/13

Yeah, I don't get it either. It's either a crime, or it's not. 
CruisingCats

8/3/13

We need to stop allowing people to diminish the crime of rape. They are making this devastating act appear to be a mere inconvenience. 

If men were raped in the same numbers as women we would find it would require a death sentence in response.
In reply toRe: msg 83
Cstar1
Host

8/28/13

Judge's remarks about teenage rape victim spark outrage: 30 DAYS for rape. And victim-blaming a 14yo.

CruisingCats

8/28/13

It's asinine to any 14 year old is old enough to consent to sex. And even if the child dressed and acted provocatively (I don't know if she did or not), doesn't the judge know that this is a common manifestation of children who have been raped before or find this the only way to obtain adult acceptance? There's been cases of 5 year olds acting provocatively to obtain adult approval. Is he going to say next that the 5 year old consented and was older than her chronological age?

The facts are simple. He was an adult. She was not. It was ENTIRELY his responsibility to control the situation. And he HAD that control and got what he wanted. A child killed herself over it. He should be imprisoned for his entire life, not given a slap on the hand and told to go and rape some more.
Cstar1
Host

8/28/13

I read a headline that said the judge was defending his decision, but I didn't check the article, and I'm too lazy to go find it now.

This is a classic case of "blame the victim."