1882 messages in 117 discussions
Latest 8/6/17 by Cstar1
Latest Apr-20 by Cstar1
583 messages in 34 discussions
Latest Apr-15 by Cstar1
Latest Apr-9 by Cstar1
716 messages in 77 discussions
Latest Apr-4 by Cstar1
485 messages in 79 discussions
Latest Mar-23 by Cstar1
82 messages in 26 discussions
86 messages in 2 discussions
15 messages in 8 discussions
850 messages in 36 discussions
766 messages in 117 discussions
445 messages in 54 discussions
546 messages in 90 discussions
146 messages in 47 discussions
42 messages in 13 discussions
There are several realities that advocates of these ridiculous laws need to be aware of:
(Full disclosure, I am a Heterosexual Male, Married with 2 children, and a lifelong REPUBLICAN. I am a Christian, too...a Methodist. I have voted for the Republican candidate in every election since 1988. But I did NOT vote for Donald Trump. I voted Libertarian in this past election because I could not bring myself to choose between a Clown or a Criminal. Both Trump AND Hillary disgust me!)
1) The Law is utterly UNINFORCEABLE! Unless they are going to post cops at every public bathroom to do "equipment checks"....and I'm pretty sure that would be an Unconstitutional VIolation of Privacy. And NO COP wants to do this.
2) The Law only affects less than 1/2 of 1% of Americans who are Transgender. WAS THIS EVEN A PROBLEM TO BEGIN WITH? Was there some pressing need, or problem that this law is supposed to "solve"? Has there been a rash of reports of Transgendered people leering at other people or peeking over dividers at people going to the bathroom? No. So this uniinforceable law doesn't even serve any real purpose or solve any actual problems!
3) People have been going to the bathroom with Transgendered people for decades without even realizing it! A Transgendered person LOOKS LIKE the gender they have transitioned to. In nearly all cases, you wouldn't even have ANY IDEA that they weren't the gender they appeared to be, unless they actually TOLD you. And you have not been scarred or damaged by the experience. Because you didn't even know about it.
4) Transgendered people are statistically NOT sexual predators. They tend to be otherwise very kind, good people. They aren't even INTERESTED in the other people in the bathroom in any sexual way. Your children are NOT at any risk around Transexuals. You are FAR more likely to face a threat from HETEROSEXUALS than from any Transgender. Look at the news. How many times just in the last YEAR have you seen heterosexual teachers (both male and female) having sex with students? How many times have you heard about a TRANSEXUAL teacher or person having sex with minors? And believe me, If it ever happened YOU WOULD DEFINITELY HEAR ABOUT IT! So you are not protecting anybody, not even the children, from any real threat.
5) The Unintended Consequences of these RIDICULOUS laws is that the Federal Government suddenly got involved with an issue that should NEVER have involved the Federal Government. Barack Obama signed an Executive Order REQUIRING ALL PUBLIC SCHOOLS THAT RECEIVE FEDERAL DOLLARS (which is most of them) to either allow Transgendered children to go to the restroom corresponding with their "Preferred Gender" or to have special bathroom facilities for them to go to. Let's consider first the RIDICULOUS nature of that order--Transgendered children ALREADY face incredible persecution, and this only provides more ways to draw unwanted attention to them and create more resentment and persecution for them. No Transgendered child would put themselves in the position of taking advantage of such an order---they would be tormented by their peers even more than they are already. And in almost all cases, a child who identifies themselves as Transgendered has not yet "transitioned", and so they STILL look like their birth gender.
But think about this....your stupid law opened the door for the Federal Government to get involved in this issue! It was a pointless law that led to MORE overreach by the Federal government! Are you PROUD of yourselves? Not only did you make your state look ridiculous and cost yourselves respect and MILLIONS of dollars, but you gave the Liberals YET ONE MORE avenue for the Federal Government to intrude on your lives!
This law not only hasn't SOLVED any problem that actually existed, it actually CREATED A BIGGER PROBLEM!
This is when I have to remind myself that just because a person is elected to political office, it does NOT mean that they aren't still an IDIOT! We seem to have a perception that if someone can get themselves elected to political office, they MUST know what they are doing. Often, we treat them as if they were some kind of "expert". My experience is that this is very often NOT the case. Politicians are JUST AS STUPID as the general population who elected them. Sometimes stupider.
I did not vote for Donald Trump. But one thing he DID do is repeal that stupid "bathroom directive" that Obama signed in reaction to the stupid "bathroom laws" that the stupid legislators passed in these various states. Most of the states who had such "bathroom laws" have repealed them by now. Everybody needs to cool it on the stupid. This is NOT an issue that ANY government needs to be sticking its greedy little power-hungry fingers into.
We need to leave people the hell ALONE and let them live their lives the way they want to. If they aren't hurting you, leave them the hell ALONE! If they look like a woman, let them go to the women's rest room. Who are they hurting? No one! Why is it ANYONE'S business where they go to the bathroom? Why should ANY government, state, local, or Federal be involved in this issue?
Chill out on the stupid and STOP making stupid laws that only make things WORSE, not better!
I swear, I am becoming more Libertarian every time I look at these idiots.
You had me agreeing with you up through your 4th point.
Then you lost me. The Federal rule was in reaction to discrimination that was happening in some states. If it hadnt been for that, no federal rule would have been required.
You had me agreeing with you up through your 4th point. Then you lost me. The Federal rule was in reaction to discrimination that was happening in some states. If it hadnt been for that, no federal rule would have been required.
The Federal government has NO BUSINESS getting involved in a local issue.
If it were a matter of civil rights or discrimination, that should be dealt with through the courts. But Obama made UNILATERAL ACTION that went TOO FAR and caused more problems than it solved. It was inappropriate action and it was executive overreach. Trump was RIGHT to reverse the Executive Order.
But I agree with you that had there not been a stupid state law in the first place, Obama would never have had the opening to get involved. When will they ever learn? Many of the issues the Religious Right is dealing with today are actually THEIR OWN FAULT that the Federal Government is even involved in. How did we end up with Gay Marriage (which I am a supporter of, BTW)? Because the "Defense of Marriage Act" made Marriage a FEDERAL issue! Before that, it was purely a STATE issue. But the Religious Conservatives gave up their CONSERVATISM (which generally favors States over the Federal Government and avoids growing Federal power), and used the power of the Federal Government to impose their own moral belief in "Traditional Marriage". That Federalized Marriage, and made it an issue that the Federal Government could directly govern. Before that, marriage was purely the purview of the states. But THEY made it a Federal issue. And now they have Gay Marriage. Congratulations. You just screwed YOURSELVES!
Now, personally, I am in favor of Gay marriage. But I believe it to be a STATE issue, not a Federal issue. But the damned Religious Conservatives couldn't leave it at that. They had to pass a FEDERAL LAW. And that opened the door to the Federal Government, which the Liberals promptly walked right through, and brought suit to the Supreme Court, which ruled in favor of Gay Marriage. Bam. you've got Gay Marriage. I believe it was coming anyway even without the Supreme Court. Our society had changed and the old arguments against it began ringing hollow to more and more even in the Republican Party. State after state was legalizing it. Some states, like my state of Alabama, were fighting against it, but it was eventually GOING to happen. It just would have taken a little longer without the Supreme Court. But the Religious Conservatives are the ones who MADE it a Federal issue in the first place with DoMA. They should have left it with the states. At least they would have given themselves the opportunity to fight the inevitable for a little longer.
But as a general rule, the Federal Government has NO BUSINESS getting involved in such local and state issues. Even if I support Gay Marriage or Transgender Rights in principle, I do not support the Federal Government being involved in such local issues. I believe strongly in the 10th Amendment. I am a Libertarian by Ideology, though I vote Republican in national elections because the Libertarian Party is not a viable national party, and cannot win national Presidential elections. (And I tend to be stronger on National Defense than the Libertarian Party is, so here I am more in line with most Republicans). I am a "Libertarian-Minded Republican". I call myself "a consistent Conservative". I want the Federal Government out of my wallet AND out of my bedroom!