GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

ICE Wants to Destroy Records   Law & Disorder

Started Aug-29 by Cstar1; 458 views.
Cstar1
Host

Aug-29

In reply toRe: msg 1
Cstar1
Host

Sep-11

In reply toRe: msg 1
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Sep-11

So how long should they keep records?? Forever? 20 years? 10 years?

Cstar1
Host

Sep-12

20 years minimum.

In reply toRe: msg 4
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Sep-12

Okay, 20 years. Stored how? Under the criminal's name? Under the offending officer's name? Entered into the record only after the investigation, assuming there is one.

The criminal reports an abuse ... to whom? An entry is made in the criminal's record and the offending officer's. An independent investigator is assigned. If deemed credible charges are brought up against the officer. The criminal stays in jail waiting for the trial?

Who is on the jury?

This sounds expensive.

Cstar1
Host

Sep-12

I don't really care if it's expensive or not. Police departments and law enforcement agencies deal with this all the time. We don't hear stories of them purging records for cases that havent been investigated or closed.

In reply toRe: msg 6
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Sep-12

Does "... not hearing stories ..." mean they don't destroy the records? I haven't heard stories of them keeping records, not being in those circles.

In reply toRe: msg 4
HWPeeler (HPeeler)

Sep-13

After 20 years the people involved in the complaint are no longer there. Witnesses can't be found. The case is impossible to prosecute. If the complaint isn't acted on in three years it is impossible to investigate.

WWW3
Staff

Sep-14

Not necessarily true - I worked with a cold case unit for a while. Part of my job was to track down the people from old unresolved cases. At 20 years, there were still a lot of people available. (Not arguin' - just sayin').

IIRC (and it's been over 12 years since I retired from federal law enforcement) unresolved major crimes (deaths) were kept on file forever. Resolved cases were destroyed after adjudication and appeals. 

In reply toRe: msg 9
Cstar1
Host

Sep-14

WWW3 said:

unresolved major crimes (deaths) were kept on file forever. Resolved cases were destroyed after adjudication and appeals.

Thanks, Walt. That makes sense, and is likely what the ACLU is aiming for.