GovWatch

Hosted by Cstar1|Webpage

A forum for posting about laws & pending legislation - both domestic & international, freedom of the press, & online privacy.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Rape   Law & Disorder

Started 12/29/12 by Cstar1; 44593 views.
CruisingCats

12/30/12

In some areas of this country, 40-70% of rape kits aren't even tested. I can't find it now, but when some of the ignored kits were tested a whole bunch of serial rapists were uncovered.

In reply toRe: msg 12
Cstar1
Host

12/30/12

From Daily Kos:

The New York Times recently profiled a disturbing sexual assault of a teenage girl in Steubensville, Ohio, when members of the revered high school football team allegedly dragged an intoxicated minor from party to party for her to be repeatedly victimized. Only two people have been charged.  The hacker group Anonymous has now taken matters into their own hands, threatening to post personal information of people whom they view as complicit.
CruisingCats

12/31/12

Ha! I knew I'd read it somewhere!

Apparently, I'm becoming senile.
CruisingCats

12/31/12

I'm so tired of the authorities ignoring these allegations that I'm actually kinda glad that someone is paying attention. Maybe it will force the authorities into taking these allegations seriously.
CruisingCats

1/1/13

I had read a similar description previously. It's terrible.

It's not that I don't care about what's going on in India to women, but we don't provide safety and prompt access to legal redress to our own women in the states. In much of the country women who are raped and even murdered are ignored by the local police. In fact, until this past year the FBI identified the only rape that they considered rape was 'forcible' rape.

http://www.msmagazine.com/blog/blog/2011/04/20/rape-is-rape-no-more-excuses/

http://www.fbi.gov/news/pressrel/press-releases/attorney-general-eric-holder-announces-revisions-to-the-uniform-crime-reports-definition-of-rape

Yes, that was a heinious crime, but don't think it doesn't happen here in the States, because it does. All the time. In fact, I've cared for 2 children that were only two years old when they had their vaginas and intestines ruptured by broom handles. One by her father and one by her mother's boyfriend. Get this, the father had been jailed for child abuse previously, but was allowed to go back home to the same children he had abused after serving his pathetic sentence of 10 months. Both children died. One of the little girls had full-blown gonorrhea, indicating she had been raped for months, at least.

I've cared for women in the ER who were raped and the police officers were joking about them before they ever saw them or interiewed them. The two police officers come in laughing and asked me if I believed the victim or if she was another "skank looking to trash an ex". I tore in to them so violently that our doc came and pulled me away as I was literally looking like I would hit them. Their attitudes changed when I led them into the woman's room. She was so viciously beaten we admitted her to the ICU. She had been raped in front of her 5 year old son who had been forced to watch. He wouldn't talk. Not a word. He just clung to his mom. He actually went to ICU with his mom, because he became so distraught when we tried to separate them. I was told he couldn't be separated until the next morning when his grandma came for him.

Look at the Violence Against Women Act. This act can't get passed because it would allow Indian women on reservations to fight back against the white men coming onto the reservations raping them! As it stands, the majority of men get a pass for rape and they know it! One in three Indian women are raped on reserations according to the Justice Department and very little, if anything, is done. Many of them are raped by white men coming onto the reservation simply to rape them.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/women-s-rights/violence-against-women/maze-of-injustice

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=12203114

And Sheriff Joe Arpagio refuses to even investigate the raping of several very young teenagers. But he's definitely not alone.

Women can find no safety from abusive husbands and boyfriends until they are injured or killed.

We do not take care of our children, let alone our women. It should be a national disgrace.

Cstar1
Host

1/1/13

CruisingCats says:
It should be a national disgrace.
It's a global disgrace.
In reply toRe: msg 19
Cstar1
Host

1/8/13

Anger over rape forces probe into police action

Hindustan Times - ‎15 minutes ago‎
In a move designed to limit any fresh outpouring of public rage over its handling of the Delhi bus gangrape, the government has ordered a probe into allegations about the police's immediate response to the attack.