General Discussion -  Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday! (217 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe

From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/12/17 12:13 PM 
To: All  (1 of 6) 

This is a message I wrote and posted a couple of years ago:

Well I started very early this morning to try to figure out if Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday or a Friday.

Yes, I know He was crucified and after three days and nights, He arose.  That is not in dispute. And totally out of curiosity I have been wanting to see what I could learn about this because the Bible only says the night Jesus was arrested was Passover.  That the next day when he was on the cross it was "preparation Day,  (a High Sabbath) And that He rose from the tomb before sunrise on a Sunday.  And it is in Scripture that Jesus said he would be burried for three days and three nights. 

There is confusion because the Church has been observing His death on the cross on "Good Friday" but that doesn't add up, so many Christians who have studied this issue came to the conclusion that Jesus was actually crucified on a Wednesday and some claim it was on a Thursday.  

So like I said, I started this morning and was surprised that I got so far.  I am sharing with you what I found from several websites about the feast days and Sabbaths of Holy Week and the only way it adds up is if Jesus was crucified on a Wednesday So here is what I found.  You can agree or disagree or not care - makes no difference to me - but until somebody shows me where I am wrong, this what I believe about it. 

Ready?  

Brief  explanation: The feasts and Holy Days in the Old Covenant were “prophetic”.  They were "shadows and copies" pointing to Christ Jesus.  In the Jewish month of Nisan, in the week that Jesus was crucified, there is a day called “Passover” followed by the week long “Feast of Unleavened Bread” when no leaven is permitted in the house during this entire week so the Jewish people may eat only unleavened bread during those days.

Jesus was crucified on the day of Passover – the day the Paschal Lamb was slain. And the following day was a High Sabbath that began the week long “ Feast of Unleavened  Bread”. 

Detailed Timeline:

Day 1 is Passover – Not a Sabbath.  (It is the 14th day of Nisan )  It is "Passover which began on sundown of Tuesday night and continued until sundown on Wednesday night. Jesus was crucified during the day on Wednesday. It is called “Preparation Day” because it is the day before a High Sabbath that begins the “week long  “Feast of Unleavened  Bread”.  And Jesus is put in the tomb in the evening.  

Day 2 is a High Sabbath,  because it is the first day of  the week long  “Feast of Unleavened Bread” (It was the 15th day of Nisan)  It was from sundown on Wednesday to sundown on Thursday and the end of the first full day and night day that Jesus was in the tomb.

Day 3 is not a Sabbath, (It is the 16th day of Nisan) it as from sundown on Thursday to sundown on Friday and is the second day of the week long “Feast of Unleaven Bread”. It is also called the day of “First Fruits “.  (It is not a Sabbath).  It was the  end of the second full day and night that Jesus was in the tomb.

Day 4 is the “Weekly” Sabbath, (a Saturday).  (The 17th day of Nisan)  It was from sundown on Friday to sundown on Saturday.  It is the third day of the week long “Feast of Unleaven Bread”. And it was the end of the third full day and night that Jesus was in the tomb.

Day 5 is not a Sabbath – It is from sundown on Saturday to sundown on Sunday.  (It is the 18th day of Nisan) the fourth day of the “Feast of Unleavened Bread. Jesus was resurrected early in the morning before sunrise.  The women go to the tomb and find it empty. Jesus then appears to Mary Magdalene.  

There are 3 more days remaining in the week long “Feast of Unleavened Bread” and none of those days fall on a High Sabbath or a weekly Saturday Sabbath.  The last day of the week long “Feast of Unleavened Bread” is on a Wednesday, the 21st day of Nisan .

And there you have it! The only way it works is if Jesus was crucified on Wednesday.  It was on Passover, that began at sundown on Tuesday and ended at sundown on Wednesday. 

Show me where I am wrong and I will listen to you.

Paula 

• Edited April 27, 2017 11:09 am  by  Paula (PaulaS44)

To: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 6) 
 116671.2 in reply to 116671.1 

:)

God called the day of sunset and sunrise to different times seasonally for the days' sunrise and sunset, and the seasons on earth came into being so.

Then one day, the Hebrew calendar came along the way and people determined to make the day a more perfect time for God, and they began adding a bit of time here, and a tad less there, where accumulative across the ages lots of time ending up gone missing somewhere, and gained more or less everywhere, and so much so that today nobody knows for sure just exactly what day or time it really is on earth, but God.

It doesn't really matter though, for since the beginning God did not make time perfect to the day, otherwise the day itself would be God and He not, for only God is perfect.

“But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.  (Jesus in Mar 13:32)

And no wonder. :)

From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/13/17 3:02 PM 
To: Caryn (haleyC987)  (3 of 6) 
 116671.3 in reply to 116671.2 
Caryn (haleyC987) said...

:)

God called the day of sunset and sunrise to different times seasonally for the days' sunrise and sunset, and the seasons on earth came into being so.

Then one day, the Hebrew calendar came along the way and people determined to make the day a more perfect time for God, and they began adding a bit of time here, and a tad less there, where accumulative across the ages lots of time ending up gone missing somewhere, and gained more or less everywhere, and so much so that today nobody knows for sure just exactly what day or time it really is on earth, but God.

It doesn't really matter though, for since the beginning God did not make time perfect to the day, otherwise the day itself would be God and He not, for only God is perfect.

“But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.  (Jesus in Mar 13:32)

And no wonder. :)

Paula:  Thank you Caryn!  I like  that! 

God promised that His eternal life will flows through you

today and will continue giving you life after your body dies.

Lord, I pray for all those who come to this forum, for all 

persecuted Christians, for President Trump, for the  men 

and women  our police force, and in our armed forces. 

I stand with Israel.

"All posts are "Fair Use" only"  

Follow me to:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/heisrisen/messages

• Edited April 13, 2017 3:11 pm  by  Paula (PaulaS44)

To: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 6) 
 116671.4 in reply to 116671.1 

I have heard this explanation before, as well as an explanation that makes both Thursday and Friday acceptable as dates of crucifixion with the resurrection on Sunday.  IMO, it doesn't matter which is correct.  What matters is it happened.  It is fun to play with the days and try to figure out the time line, but people back in Jesus' time did not view time the way many of us do today.  (I say many of us, for I have to deal with some Comanche leaders who take 'Indian time' seriously, and this gives me a perspective of differing views of time.)

To: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (5 of 6) 
 116671.5 in reply to 116671.1 

I am still trying to figure it all out but this is what I understand you to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong!):

Nissan 14:  Tue. evening + Wed. daylight (crucifixion Wed. afternoon)

Nissan 15:  Wed. evening + Thur. daylight

Nissan 16:  Thur. evening + Fri. daylight

Nissan 17:  Fri. evening + Sat. daylight

Nissan 18:  Sat. evening + Sun. daylight (resurrection Sun. morning)

Would that not work out to be more than "three days & three nights"?

Some commentators have noted that Jesus said "he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life." (Mat 16:20-21. NIV).  These commentators usually accept what they say was a Jewish custom of making "three days & three nights" mean parts of three days & three nights, not strictly 72 hours. 

According to this interpretation Jesus could be crucified Friday afternoon and rise early Sunday morning, that is, part of Nissan 14, all of Nissan 15, & part of Nissan 16.

Perhaps the uncertainty is because the Lord does not want us to celebrate "holy days".  Even so, I find it very interesting.

• Edited April 15, 2017 8:56 am  by  grevillea

From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by host4/15/17 9:07 AM 
To: grevillea  (6 of 6) 
 116671.6 in reply to 116671.5 

grevillea said...

Would that not work out to be more than "three days & three nights"?

Paula:  Well the Jewish day begins at sunset on one day and continues till after Dawn the next day. For example a Wednesday is made of part of Wednesday and part of Thursday. So one day consists of part of Wednesday and part of Thrusday, thereby using parts of  days. It is confusing for sure. But in "Jewish terms" Jesus was in the tomb for three days and three nights. 

Grevillea:  Some commentators have noted that Jesus said "he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life." (Mat 16:20-21. NIV).  These commentators usually accept what they say was a Jewish custom of making "three days & three nights" mean parts of three days & three nights, not strictly 72 hours. 

Paula:  Well I don't see anywhere in the Bible that says "Jesus said He must be killed on the third day"."  They are just guessing here.  

In the Bible Jesus only said that He would be killed and would raise again on the third day. He spoke of his Resurrection in the context of the third day - not His crucifixion.  And I always stick with what the Bible says. 

But I apreciate your interest.  I decided one day to figure out the confusion and what I wrote works for Him to have died on a Wednesday afternoon and be in the tomb for three  Jewish days and nights, taking the Sabbaths into account.   

It is my understanding that Jesus died at aprroximately 3:00 pm.

Here is an interesting article about the timeline of Good Friday

3:00 p.m. Jesus dies: “At the ninth hour, Jesus cried out, ‘My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?’” “Jesus said, ‘It is finished,’ and he gave up his spirit.”  The article is here: https://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/good-friday-in-real-time

Thanks again for your interest and comments. 

God promised that His eternal life will flows through you

today and will continue giving you life after your body dies.

Lord, I pray for all those who come to this forum, for all 

persecuted Christians, for President Trump, for the  men 

and women  our police force, and in our armed forces. 

I stand with Israel.

"All posts are "Fair Use" only"  

Follow me to:

http://forums.delphiforums.com/heisrisen/messages

• Edited April 15, 2017 9:15 am  by  Paula (PaulaS44)

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:
Using a mobile device? Switch to the Mobile Site.

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Advertising | Membership Plans
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Service.