Welcome, Greetings & Notices -  Sunday Greetings from Paula -After Death (103 views) Notify me whenever anyone posts in this discussion.Subscribe
From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-11 2:45 PM 
To: All  (1 of 5) 

I see some discussions here in this forum regarding what happens to the body and soul after death. which Christians have differing views about. In the Bible Jesus says that believers will never die. In fact He says it several times. And it is pretty clear that He is talking about the soul because we know that the body will die. I found this article that seems to explain it pretty well so I am sharing it with you today. 

Is the Soul Conscious After Death?

There are those, who identify themselves with Christianity, who contend that the dead are not conscious in the intermediate state, i.e., in that condition of existence between the time of one’s death and that of the resurrection of his body. Martin Luther once taught that the condition between death and the resurrection is “a deep and dreamless sleep without consciousness and feeling” (Althaus, 414-416).

There have been some among the churches of Christ who have advocated this concept. For example, in a speech delivered at Pepperdine University in April of 1988, F. LaGard Smith asserted the theory of “soul-sleeping.” But this position is seriously flawed and is refuted by considerable biblical evidence. 

The narrative regarding the rich man and Lazarus unquestionably demonstrates the consciousness of humanity (of both the evil and the righteous) in the intermediate state (Lk. 16:19ff). While some would dismiss this account as a mere parable, the evidence is against that view.  The text has traits that suggest it is not a parable (e.g., Lazarus and Abraham being named). It would not matter if it were, for a parable portrays circumstances that are true to life (unlike, for example, the fable).  For a more detailed consideration of this matter, see the article: Are the Dead Conscious?.

On the mountain of Transfiguration, Moses and Elijah appeared and spoke with Christ regarding his impending death in Jerusalem (Lk. 9:30-31). These Old Testament worthies certainly were not in a state of “dreamless sleep.”

On the cross, Jesus promised the penitent robber, “Today you will be with me in Paradise” (Lk. 23:43). The language demands association and consciousness later that day in the realm of the righteous dead. If not, of what value was the pledge?

As Hiebert mentioned (see above), Paul described the state of departing to be with the Lord (i.e., dying in Christ) as being “very far better” than earthly Christian fellowship (Phil. 1:23). Could one affirm that unconsciousness is “very far better” than the sweet communion among the children of God? Moreover, what value would there be in desiring to “depart” to be “with Christ” if one was unconscious, and thus did not even know that he was “with Christ.”

In the book of Revelation John saw a vision of the “souls” of those who had been slain upon the earth (Rev. 6:9-11). These souls were petitioning the Lord for information as to when their blood would be avenged, and they were encouraged to wait patiently until Heaven’s plan had reached fruition. It is impossible to eliminate post-death consciousness from this sacred scene.

These arguments represent but a fraction of the case that can be made for the conscious state of the dead in the post-death, pre-resurrection state of human existence. Those who deny this clear biblical teaching reveal that they have been influenced by doctrines that are alien to the scriptural view of man.

• Edited March 11, 2018 2:52 pm  by  Paula (PaulaS44)

From: Zerich DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 4:58 AM 
To: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (2 of 5) 
 126338.2 in reply to 126338.1 

I really enjoyed this article. Thank You for posting it.

"I am with you always."

Matthew 28:20

From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 7:13 AM 
To: Zerich DelphiPlus Member Icon  (3 of 5) 
 126338.3 in reply to 126338.2 

You're welcome Zerich.  I think it contains a lot of good information. this article cncourages us to also read the article at this link: 

I read it and  it does contain a lot of really good information about this topic. 

I believe these two articles also support the belief t hat the saints can hear  our words when we speak to them!   Perhaps our friends and  relatives who have passed over can hear us as well. 

However it is all done by our souls and spirit as our body will be asleep until the time that it is resurrected , which is described in Paul's teaching about the Rapture  in in 1st.  Thessalonians 4:14-18 that refers to those who sleep in Jesus." with other Scriptures*teachings from Paul  that describe how we will receive a new celestial body. 

In short, our body will sleep in Jesus until it's ressurection. But of soul and spirit will be "aware and will comprehend things that are happening. as is taught in the parable of  the discussion between Lazarus and the Rich man.  That would mean our parents and other loved ones who have passed over can also hear us. 

I expect that some peole who are reading this are jumping up and down because they are people of little faith! 

However, I believe the Bible and what God speaks to us in it!   Our body will "sleep in Jesus" until we get our new body -  while our soul and spirit will be aware to some extent.  

That is what I believe and I'm sticking to it until somone or something proves me wrong!  

• Edited March 12, 2018 8:13 am  by  Paula (PaulaS44)

To: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon  (4 of 5) 
 126338.4 in reply to 126338.3 

And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”  (Jesus in Luke 23:43)  Rev 2:7

From: Paula (PaulaS44) DelphiPlus Member Icon Posted by hostMar-12 8:52 AM 
To: Caryn (haleyC987)  (5 of 5) 
 126338.5 in reply to 126338.4 

Caryn (haleyC987) said...

And He said to him, “Truly I say to you, today you shall be with Me in Paradise.”  (Jesus in Luke 23:43)  Rev 2:7

Paula:  Right Caryn!  Exactly!  And what would be the point if the thief on the cross would not know what was happening? 

Our rules are on our start page.

My Bible trumps what your church teaches!

We stand with Israel 

"All posts are "Fair Use" only"  

Follow me to:  http://forums.delphiforums.com/heisrisen/messages

First Discussion>>

Adjust text size:

Welcome, guest! Get more out of Delphi Forums by logging in.

New to Delphi Forums? You can log in with your Facebook, Twitter, or Google account or use the New Member Login option and log in with any email address.

Home | Help | Forums | Chat | Blogs | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service
© Delphi Forums LLC All rights reserved.