Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

"challenged on bit"   Handicapping

Started Jun-5 by 2400meters; 470 views.
2400meters

Jun-5

Hello forum.

Hoping anyone can tell me exactly what it means on form comments when it says "challenged on bit"? Just going from context, it seems to mean the horse was asserting itself without being urged by the rider?

DogsUp

Jun-5

That's a new one!

What race was the horse in?

Then go to Equibase and pull up the race.

The notes on the bottom will elaborate the scenario more fully.

Send me the horse's runner's name and the date of the race in the DRF pp.

Oldbettowin

Jun-5

That’s a new one on me too.  If I had to guess, it kind of sounds like the opposite of a loose rein, where the rider has basically decided to let the horse gallop at his own pace.  The opposite would be the rider trying to get more out of his mount.

smartyslew

Jun-5

maybe the horse was trying to throw his bit, a guess.

i bet honneerider knows !

2400meters

Jun-5

Thanks for the replies everyone.

DogsUp wrote:

"Send me the horse's runner's name and the date of the race in the DRF pp."

I didn't have a particular runner in mind, it's just something I've come across a few times and now that I think about it, it's probably never been on US dirt form comments. It seems to always be on UK/Ireland form comments, so I should have asked on a UK forum.. sorry about that.

Anyhow, here's a couple of examples:

"Tracked leaders on outside and always travelling well, challenged on bit 2f out, led over 1f out, shaken up and came right away inside final furlong, very easily"

https://www.punters.com.au/horses/threading_567101/  (Goodwood 02-Aug-17 - bottom of page)

"Tracked leaders, challenged on bit 2f out, ridden 1f out, weakened inside final furlong"

https://gg.co.uk/racing/form-profile-174625  (7th Apr 2001 - 3:05 Musselburgh - bottom of page)

Again many thanks for all of your replies. : )

Wintertrian

Jun-5

hey, pulll up a chair and stick around. welcome.
I also want to know what that means about the bit anyway. 

2400meters

Jun-5

Thanks Wintertrain, I'll stick around. I noticed there are only about 300 members, so I was surprised to get replies so quickly. Seems like a friendly place to chat horse..

Wintertrian

Jun-6

We've been capping the TC races, with same group, for over a decade together.  It is a friendly and respectful group.  Nobody will bash you here, and there is no such thing as a stupid question or opinion.  

TexSquared

Jun-6

I think the equivalent running comment in North American past performance lines and race charts (Equibase) would be "collared".  

So that Goodwood race, Equibase might have said "stalked the pace 2w, collared by Justify 3/16, held place" 

Meaning Justify drew up alongside to challenge him at the 3/16 pole and our horse couldn't run with him (nobody has so far :-)  ) and he did well to hold second.

2400meters

Jun-6

Thanks TexSquared, yeah with the UK style of comments and the context I've seen this phrase used in, that actually sounds exactly right. So, "challenged on bit" = "challenged by another horse".. sounds right to me. Thanks very much!