Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mother Goose   Handicapping

Started Jun-28 by Oldbettowin; 448 views.
Oldbettowin

Jun-28

Anyone looked at this yet?  It’s a short field with only 7 entrants but it looks to me like 4 or 5 of them have a shot.  Now which one....

SameSteve G

Jun-29

I like the 2nd choice on the m/line, Road To Victory.  She's bouncing off the Tapeta onto dirt & the last time she did that (as a 2 year old) she beat Monomoy Girl.

She can sit off the speed & come running.  Plus, I like the Quality Roads.

RAESFAN

Jun-29

Steve, I believe her first and last starts were on the turf. In between, she defeated Monomoy Girl on the dirt around two turns. I've been talking her up for some time now, and am anxious to see her against Midnite Bisou, who is just a tad below MG. It would have been great if all three were in this race. Is Monomoy Girl avoiding her?

SameSteve G

Jun-29

I stand corrected.  I got befuddled.  I like it the same though.  A turf to dirt scenario plays similarly to artificial to dirt for a very good dirt horse like Road to Victory.

I can't see Monomoy ducking Road.  I suppose anything is possible.  MG is listed as probable for the Coaching Club Amer. Oaks on 7/22.

RAESFAN

Jun-29

I think maybe they're being strategic. Monomoy Girl is odds on for the major end of the year awards after her Oaks win. Last thing they need is to be defeated yet again by a fresh Road To Victory. Should the latter win the MG, she would have to return in three weeks which she has never done, to face MG again in the CCAO. Advantage Monomoy Girl.

• Edited June 30, 2018 8:09 am  by  RAESFAN
SameSteve G

Jun-30

That analysis makes a lot of sense, Rae.

In reply toRe: msg 6
SameSteve G

Jun-30

After scratches - only 4 horses left in this edition of The Ma Goose.  That's pathetic.

RAESFAN

Jun-30

Sure was, but Midnight Bisou sure looked impressive. She may not have liked CD.

I was having an awful day at the window. My recreational budget was just $50 bucks, and I had $6 left before the United Nations at Monmouth. I said "what the heck", and bet $2 ATB on Funtastic, just because he's by MTR. He went wire to wire at 23-1!

• Edited June 30, 2018 8:03 pm  by  RAESFAN
SameSteve G

Jul-1

MB is a sleek, racy looking filly with a very nice way of going.  She won for fun.  

MTR to the rescue when all else fails!  The money won is still green & still folds.  No worries.  :)

Wintertrian

Jul-3

RAESFAN said...

Funtastic, just because he's by MTR. He went wire to wire at 23-1!

I was gonna ask you if you saw that race.  Longest odds on the board, and he ran a great figure, too. 

Capping a 1-3/4 mile turf race isn't something I'd be good at though.  But if someone like you who is "sire loyal" then it pays to be a backer of those horses, doesn't it. :)   I was more impressed with the female side though.  

Last year he was running in allowances and going off at pretty low odds. Dunno how bettors let him get away, he has been running ITM consistently for the entire year----chad brown had 4 horses in that race and they were all bet down. 

Seeing Dickey (who I never pay attention to) brought back memories about how I will NEVER wager any of his horses.  Because once i was watching in the paddock and one of his horses looked like he had a big chunk taken out of his butt, and it was still oozing, and I was thinking "who the HECK would enter a horse in a race, and let the public see something like that?"  Other than Flat Out, I have never looked at any of his horses since.  It really was disgusting to have to look at that, like he got bit by another horse or something.  I remember thinking "what a total lack of PRIDE."