Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Pennsylvania Derby   Triple Crown

Started Sep-17 by princeofdoc; 840 views.
princeofdoc

Sep-17

I know it's not part of the triple crown, per se, but it is a million dollar race for the 3 yr. olds who were on the trail, so I chose this folder.  The most interesting entrant is McKinzie, Baffert's highly touted charge from the winter....who is being trained up to the race.  He has logged two 7f. works in 1:24 and change....not too shabby.  Wonder if he's good enough...and ready?

ChiefsCrown

Sep-18

Thinking here is McKenzie and Instilled Regard been off too long to factor in the top 4. Not a big Hofburg fan but he's getting a 5lb weight break. Time for Bravazo to win a Gr 1, that being said my super box is Hofburg, Bravazo, Axelrod and King Zachary....Riders up!

Northof64

Sep-18

Quite a nice line up here for the Penn Derby.  As I stated in another thread, Axlerod has been my flier but 5-1??  I did not get to bet him in a BC classic futures because the Wynn did not list him so now my interest is less enthusiastic. If he wins and moves on to the classic with Brown as his trainer his odds will be compromised but still good.  I'm hoping Instilled Regard does well enough so they move on to the classic but I have my doubts here. Enjoyable race nonetheless. Figure out who will be at the first turn in first and you may have your winner.

North

princeofdoc

Sep-18

McKinzie will be on the lead!  On another note, Wynn will ALWAYS list a horse in the futures that you want to have added....and usually at a very good price :)

SameSteve G

Sep-18

Hofburg looks like the horse to beat.

I would not discount the Baffert "magic" coming off a long layoff.  The horse has got the talent & if he looks on the muscle, I'd say he's been made ready by fair means (or foul).

Those two will probably go off as fav, 2nd fav, so not too appetizing.

Bravazo is consistent & doesn't quit.

Axelrod looks live.

Does not appeal to me as a betting race.

Wintertrian

Sep-21

From my reading, that track is usually fast but it's been a deluge of rain for a long time now, cant' study the track bias due to that, and breeding wise, can't differentiate the horses a whole lot so you can't use that too much. 

I would rename this race as "The G3 horses desperately trying to win a G1 race Stakes." 

My take?  (Dripping with sarcasm) given that Brown is said to "turn around horses in the blink of an eye (because he's so good, you know) and all he did with Gronkowski was give him a few workouts,  and golly gee, Gronk ran 2nd in the Belmont.......because Brown is a superior trainer.   Noseda did nada, to hear the story told......Gronk was in Brown's barn and that is why he ran so well.  :) If I were playing, I'd bet on Instilled Regard, cuz you know, hes been transferred to Chad Brown stable; (he and baffert have the same feed guy?).  

Seriously, I would need at least 10-1 or 12-1 on a horse to bet winner.  I can pretty much see anybody winning this.  

If I were playing (which I'm not) box 4:  Core Beliefs, Hofburg, Instilled Regard, Trigger Warning --- if you want to box 5, then add Bravazo

In reply toRe: msg 6
Wintertrian

Sep-21

^^^^ I'm probably not even close. 

SameSteve G

Sep-21

I read you loud & clear, WT.  It is kind of a dart board race so those you've mentioned have a shot. 

Back in the day when I was betting regularly the NYRA product, I'd peek over at Delaware & Philly (long before it became Parx) on NYRA dark days for the occasional spot play.  Decades ago, actually.  I don't follow them at all anymore.  

On the other thing, as far as I'm concerned there's not a single element of the sport of horse racing that's improved through the existence of mega-barns & super trainers, super vets, super chemists, not to mention the ever more voracious commercial breeding monoliths. 

That's the status quo & those making lots of hay in the current environment will fight tooth & nail against much needed reform designed to revitalize the whole sport.  Their narrow self interests rule the day.

KonaNative

Sep-21

I'll go with 2-7-8 exacta and tri box

Mr Freeze across the board 

ChiefsCrown

Sep-22

Good luck on your picks. Freeze across the board huh? 

Hofburg, Mr. Freeze and Core Beliefs are the best speed at this distance. 

I have a trifecta of 2, 8, 10 and a super of 2, 3, 8, 10.