Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Jockey Club Gold Cup - 9/29/2018   General Discussions

Started Sep-25 by SameSteve G; 1438 views.
SameSteve G

Sep-25

I'm looking forward this year to the JCGC.  Both of my crystal ball exacta box Breeders Cup Classic horses are probable - Thunder Snow & Mendy.  Good showings will seal the deal for me on the BC bet. :)

It also seems last year's winner, Diversify is shooting for a double.  The Gronk is probable, as well.

Patch, Carlino, Uno Mas Modelo & You're To Blame round out the 8 probables.  I'd like to see one or two more.

Arguably the greatest ever string of victories in this, or any race (when it was 2 miles) is the 5 straight won by the great Kelso from 1960 to '64.  I find it difficult to get my head around it.  Simply amazing.

RAESFAN

Sep-25

Diversify appears unbeatable in NY. At low odds he will probably be unbettable as well. My hope is that he will be less formidable at CD so that Catholic Boy will have a shot in the Classic.

SameSteve G

Sep-25

It's cool by me if Diversify wins & he along with Collected take barrels of money in the BC betting.  Will nicely inflate some of the other prices in the process.

Will be interesting to see if anyone decides to contend with Diversify up front in the earlier stages on Saturday.

zambito

Sep-26

Gronkowski will fly by all.. He needs to qualify for the BCC and Chad is putting all his chips in with this one. 

SameSteve G

Sep-26

If someone, let's say Mendelssohn, chooses to engage Diversify in the earlier stages, Gronk's chances improve.  If not & Diversify can control the pace (and the race) Gronk needs to suit up as a Pats mascot.  Rob Gronk can ride Gronk in waving a Pats banner.  :)

Thunder Snow could appreciate a return to dirt after putting in a terrible clunker at York on 8/22; his first back after excellent results at Meydan.  He could get first run & forget to stop.

I need to see the PPs when the free ones become available.  There may be some big prices that are not indicative of true chances.  Perhaps not for the win but to crash the exotics.

RAESFAN

Sep-26

I think Diversify's cruising speed is too much for anybody in this field. I think if Mendelssohn engages him, it would be suicide for him, but I still don't think Diversify will necessarily back up.

I also hope Diversify attracts loads of money in the BC, along with Accelerate, Collected, and West Coast. That way I can get double figures on Catholic Boy.

SameSteve G

Sep-26

RAESFAN said:

it would be suicide for him

I agree.  I mentioned Mendy because his profile indicates he will run prominently when allowed & carries his speed pretty well.  I do hope he doesn't hook up but it's possible.  I hope both Diversify & Accelerate turn into Clark Kents when they leave NY & CA, respectively.

Catholic Boy was live in The Travers & I have little doubt he will be ready & live in the BCC.  He must be figured into all exotic play, IMO.  Double digits?  Quite possible.  High single digits for sure.

cubs.fan

Sep-26

I would agree that he's the pick in this spot.

Toast of New York is back in the Lukas Classic. Hope he's ready to roll.

RAESFAN

Sep-27

"Clark Kents"! Lol. I like the way you turn a phrase. I too hope that the supermen will prove mortal, and my superhero, Catholic Boy, will  work a miracle and turn my pennies into dollars!

SameSteve G

Sep-27

Toast was on the shelf for over 3 years after his 2nd in the BCC in 2014 & came back to win.  He's only been off 8 months this time.  He should be ready.