Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Dubai World Cup 2019 thread   General Discussions

Started Mar-25 by TexSquared; 1995 views.
honneerider

Mar-30

Very happy for Thunder Snow and his connections. Quite a feat to win the UAE Derby and 2 DWC. I remember liking him in our Derby...didn’t quite work out so well.

disappointed in Yoshiva’s run 

SameSteve G

Mar-30

You & me, both.  :)

TexSquared

Mar-31

And now my annual reminder of how Emirates stewards hand out suspensions and fines like candy... there were also a  lot of "reprimands" but no suspensions or fines came with those, so I didn't list them here. The fines are a joke compared to the purses, and the suspensions are served on the next Emirates race days, so just April 11 (Al Ain) and 12 (Meydan) for those who got 2 days.

Soumillon got fined 25,000 dirhams ($6807) for excessive whipping (13 times) of Thunder Snow.

Jaramillo got fined 10,000 dirhams ($2723)  for whipping Gunnevera 14 times, and another 2000 ($545) for whipping without allowing the horse to respond.  He also got another 10,000 dirham fine ($2723) for whipping X Y Jet 13 times...

Albarado was fined 2000 dirhams($545) for whipping Promises Fulfilled continuously without giving him a chance to respond, twice in the same race.

Ortiz was fined 2000 dirhams ($545) for whipping Plus Que Parfait continuously without giving him a chance to respond, and a 2 day suspension for careless riding for coming out on Divine Image at the 500m pole.

Prat was fined 5000 dirhams ($1361) for whipping Stubbins 15 times, 2000 dirhams ($545) for whipping continuously without giving him a chance to respond, and a 2 day suspension for careless riding when Stubbins came in on Divine Image at the 1600m pole forcing William Buick to check.

Bowditch was fined 7500 dirhams ($2042) for whipping Viddora 15 times.

The Arabian race really got the stewards going:

Convertino was fined 2000 dirhams ($545) for whipping Fazza Al Khalediah in front of the saddle (!)

O'Shea was fined 5000 dirhams ($1361) for using the whip 13 times on AF Maher and got a  1 day suspension, plus 2000 dirhams for whipping him twice in front of the saddle. 

Mullen was fined 5000 dirhams ($1361) for whipping Ziyadd 16 times.

Gerh

Mar-31

Strange that Pratt and Ortiz were suspended for careless riding but no alterations were made in the race order

SameSteve G

Mar-31

Reminds me of The Allman Brothers...

"...tied to the whipping post"

smartyslew

Mar-31

Do you know if Rosario or Buick have ever been fined for using the whip at Dubai?

TexSquared

Mar-31

Maybe in past years, wouldn't surprise me...

ChiefsCrown

Mar-31

Cubs.....Congrats.

Gronk cost me also, didn't use him...Capezzano instead.

Great race...great horse, think he more than made up for that Kentucky Derby a few years back.

A 3-peat in the offing in 2020??

In reply toRe: msg 21
TexSquared

Apr-1

Gerh said:

Strange that Pratt and Ortiz were suspended for careless riding but no alterations were made in the race order

Good point!  If this race were in America, Buick would have claimed foul against both Prat and Ortiz and then let the stewards possibly change the order of finish placing one or both horses behind Divine Image... but then there's the whole subjective thing where the stewards have to decide, would Divine Image have beaten either of those horses if not for the interference...

I remember one of the earlier Dubai World Cups back in the Nad al Sheba days, there was some bumping between Castellano and Velazquez and both jocks had to actually go into the building and watch the video with the stewards, explain themselves, stand out in the hallway, then get called back in to get the result (and fines/suspensions too).  Not like we do here where the guys just use the phone mounted next to the weigh scale.