Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Euclyn Prentiss Jr.; RIP   General Discussions

Started May-27 by RAESFAN; 456 views.
RAESFAN

May-27

Condolences to the family, friends, colleagues, and fans of "Pede"! He was from my home in the US Virgin Islands(St. Croix), and tragically died in car crash near Turfway where he was riding. He was one of a few jockeys we have riding in the states, along with Kevin Kriegger, Kirwin John, Victor Lebron, Julio Felix, and a couple others whose names slip me at the moment. Not bad for a little island that boasts only about 50,000 people.

TexSquared

May-28

Wow, as dangerous a job as race riding is, he doesn't survive the drive home after work.  Very sad indeed.

Didn't realize the USVI was such a jockey hotbed, but it must be a Caribbean thing...  I'm thinking Barbados, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, and Trinidad. 

RAESFAN

May-28

Horse racing has been big in the USVI since before I was born in the 50s. It is easier for our riders to move to the states because we are US citizens that speak English(at least a form of it). Almost every VI native has family living in the states, some born and raised there. We don't have a jockey academy like some other countries, or else we would probably have more.

Sports on a whole are huge here. We have produced in basketball, NCAA and NBA champs(Milt Newton - Kansas; Tim Duncan - Spurs), MLB champs(Joe Christopher - Pirates; Midre Cummings - Diamondbacks), and World Boxing champs(Emile Griffith, Livingstone Bramble, and Julian Jackson). I may well be leaving some folks out. And all this without a very supportive government, that doesn't recognize the potential for Sports Tourism in the islands.

Plus2lbs

May-28

Livingston Bramble was one of my favorites..him and Boom Boom Mancini put some shows on.

Never forget them.

RAESFAN

May-28

Not to mention one of the greatest boxing names ever; "Living Stone"! He never marketed it, even though I called him that all the time. He was close friends with my ex's brother, and he would come by our house for her to put in these tiny braids in his hair. The night of the Mancini fight, every house light as far as the eye could see was on, well into the early morning.

Plus2lbs

May-28

Very cool...great fighter.

Condolences to Mr. Prentiss' family and friends. RIP.

• Edited May 28, 2019 7:46 pm  by  Plus2lbs
smartyslew

May-28

I saw Emille Griffith fight Denny Moyer in Portland, Ore in 1959 when Moyer was 19 yrs old

Exciting boxing, griffith won a close decision. Moyer was a friend of mine and later Jr Middleweight 

champion. He died recently.

Plus2lbs

May-28

My father talked highly of Emile Griffith while I was growing up. 

• Edited May 28, 2019 7:50 pm  by  Plus2lbs
RAESFAN

May-28

Griffith had a rough life. His sexual orientation was source of angst for him, as society was not close to accepting such practices. He also never came to grips with the death of Benny Paret, who died after a horrific beating by Griffith in the ring.

Plus2lbs

May-28

I heard he was a hell of a fighter and didn't know about his demons..to each their own ..