Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Max Security ~ The Horse That Couldn't Run Straight   Handicapping

Started Jul-21 by DogsUp; 161 views.
DogsUp

Jul-21

There is a movie, "The Gang that couldn't shoot straight", a comedy about bumbling small time criminals who just bumbled their way through small time 'mob' acts. Laughable and fun.

Well, I said before the 2019 Derby that  for some reason, perhaps 50 years of developing the 'feel' for racing that then undefeated Max Security, who ran undefeated in his priors, would act out when the compression came upon him. Remember, there were two objections on Max in the Derby. The one in the closing yards was disallowed. The one in the earlier fiasco was allowed and Max was summoned off the board and all the way down.

But why do you ask, did the Monmouth stewards call an Inquiry this one?

Plain and simple.

Sending a message to Mr. & Mrs. West, owners, that they are senior respected horse people, the rules of the game...arnd  Stewards decisions are final. Even by s State jurisdictional law.  And yet, they have gone to Kentucky court to say differently.

So, with that message, the Inquiry in the Haskell, it was supporting fellow Kentucky stewards call, and disfavor of the Wests seeking remedy outside the rules of racing.And

So, what about the Travers...The movie "The Godfather" could predict the next Inquiry. If Max looks at another runner the Inquiry light just might go up.  In the movie the Don is concerned that his son Michael might meet death at the hands of his supposed friends.

Let me say this. I am a superstitious man, a ridiculous failing but I must confess it here. And so if some unlucky accident should befall my youngest son, if some police officer should accidentally shoot him, if he should hang himself while in his jail cell, if new witnesses appear to testify to his guilt, my superstition will make me feel that it was the result of the ill will still borne me by some people here. Let me go further. If my son is struck by a bolt of lightning I will blame some of the people here. If his plane should fall into the sea or his ship sink beneath the waves of the ocean, if he should catch a mortal fever, if his automobile should be struck by a train, such is my superstition that I would blame the ill will felt by people here. Gentlemen, that ill will, that bad luck, I could never forgive. But aside from that let me swear by the souls of my grandchildren that I will never break the peace we have made. After all, are we or are we not better men than those pezzonovanti who have killed countless millions of men in our lifetime..

Which means Max must run a perfect race. The Wests and the Stewards at Saratoga on Travers Day both know this.

• Edited July 21, 2019 12:53 pm  by  DogsUp