Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

La. Derby Preps Changed   Triple Crown

Started Sep-25 by RAESFAN; 253 views.
RAESFAN

Sep-25

The Derby preps run at the Fair Grounds will be altered next year. The Lecomte will move from 1 and 70 yards to 1 1/16, the Risen Star from 1 1/16 to 1 1/8, and the La. Derby from 1 1/8 to 1 3/16. I guess they want to differentiate themselves from the other preps. Any thoughts?

TexSquared

Sep-26

I'm surprised this hasn't happened sooner.  Until now the only TC prep longer than 1 1/8 miles is the UAE Derby. 

RAESFAN

Sep-26

I like the progression. It may better prepare the true 10f horses, and expose the pretenders. It will be interesting to see how the trainers react. The La. Derby is six weeks out. 

TexSquared

Sep-26

The 6 weeks out part is key.  I think trainers would pass on a 1 3/16 mile prep if it was 3 or 4 weeks out  (any of Wood/SA/BlueGrass/Arkansas) to lessen the chance of a bounce. 

• Edited September 26, 2019 10:47 am  by  TexSquared
ChiefsCrown

Sep-26

At least they're not shortening up the races! 

Now the La. Derby can be a prep for the Preakness!

RAESFAN

Sep-27

I think it is a prep for the TC. From the 8.5f Lecomte, those horses will be asked to step up at 1/16 mile intervals up to the Derby. Other contenders will only have one 9f prep prior to the Derby, while the La. horses will have a 9f and a 9.5f, providing much more foundation. I will rooting for them in the hopes that it will take the industry back in a direction where they will prep more frequently in their sophomore years, and get away from this two prep preference.

Plus2lbs

Sep-27

Should weed out the pretenders me thinks..

Smaller Derby field ?

I did read something about a new "one piece" starting gate..who's to know?...

RAESFAN

Sep-27

I’m sure you’ll still get 20. Hopefully, more true routers.

PISTOL9

Sep-30

Plus2lbs said:

about a new "one piece" starting gate

I had not seen that, that would be great, I've said that is needed for several years here,   Too many incidents there.