Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

New whip rules at Woodbine   General Discussions

Started Oct-2 by TexSquared; 179 views.
TexSquared

Oct-2

The biggest change is no more overhand strikes:

https://www.agco.ca/sites/default/files/thoroughbred_directive_no._4_-_2019_-_revision_to_urging_provisions_registrar_approved_0.pdf

New rules will be tested from October 18 onward (so not until after the Canadian International which is on the 12th).

RAESFAN

Oct-2

Seems as if they are trying to get them to use the whip as a "communication" device. Most jocks seem to think the horses are holding out on them, and need to be forced to give their all. I see loose horses run hard with no urging whatsoever. The whip should merely let the horse know it's time to go. Often you see jocks use it to keep a horse from drifting in a particular direction, which works because the horse is trying to avoid the discomfort of the whip. Maybe if they spent more time with both hands on the "steering wheel", the horses would run straighter. Just a thought.

Wintertrian

Oct-3

RAESFAN said...

Most jocks seem to think the horses are holding out on them, and need to be forced to give their all. I see loose horses run hard with no urging whatsoever. The whip should merely let the horse know it's time to go.

I don't know if it's the jocks.  I think it's that the fans expect theatricals, many race fans love the gladiator model, and it would not bother them if horse was hard-used, as long as they won.  

I have always approached horse racing from perspective of the horse......they don't choose this career.  Anything they give is absolutely a gift.  Most of the time it's that they have not been properly prepared to do the job and/or aren't machines so they may wake up one morning and not feel like doing it.   I don't berate them for this.   

Your example of horses on the loose trying to win or almost winning a race is so true though.   

RAESFAN

Oct-3

Contrary to much of the talk of trainers about what is "best for the horses", they are treated as chattel. Their "interests" are secondary if we are to be honest. I applaud the efforts of Woodbine to address this issue. I hope it starts a trend!