Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

No more auxiliary gate for the Derby   Triple Crown

Started Feb-4 by TexSquared; 320 views.
TexSquared

Feb-4

Surprised it took this long...

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses/news/churchill-downs-to-debut-new-custom-made-20-stall-starting-gate-for-146th-running-of-kentucky-derby

Looks like it'll be the same design as the 25-stall gate they use for the Melbourne Cup:

https://www.sterilineracing.com/melbourne-cup-to-visit-steriline/

This should really only affect the start... removes the gap between 14 and 15, which seems to have helped the 15 post more.

smartyslew

Feb-4

I was surprised to hear this.. Did they take the Dumb pills away from those in charge or did they make

a mangement change or hire an AI Robot!!!

TexSquared

Feb-4

No kidding!  Melbourne Cup used to use two 12-stall gates back to back for the 24-horse field, but then had the 25-stall gate custom built for the race.  As soon as that happened (2009 I think) the Derby auxiliary gate should have been obsolete.  Took them long enough....

Churchill couldn't have United Puett build it for them so that the design matches what the horses and assistant starters (from all over North America) are used to?  Then again Steriline gates are a lot more common everywhere else -- Australia, Hong Kong, UAE, and Europe. 

DogsUp

Feb-4

So I'm wondering what the odds and possibilities are that if a gate stall becomes faulty at Derby Post loading.. 21stall gate makes sense. Even if used once a year. Otherwise asst starter hand release.

In reply toRe: msg 4
TexSquared

Feb-4

That might explain the 25 stall gate at Flemington when that race has a maximum field size of 24....

smartyslew

Feb-4

Nancy Is thinking maybe the first gate will still  be lined up with the rail!

In reply toRe: msg 4
smartyslew

Feb-4

they will use the aux. gate.  lol

TexSquared

Feb-4

Eventually they won't be happy with just 20 horses so they'll find a way to shove an aux gate to allow 26 to start...

Gerh

Feb-4

I hope someone has enough common sense to allow some space at the rail.Really unfair (not to mention unsafe) to continually play pinball with horses every year

In reply toRe: msg 9
TexSquared

Feb-4

If they park this new gate such that post 20 is where it was when the aux was used, that should free up maybe a lane and a half on the inside between post 1 and the rail.