Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Derby Trail 2020   General Discussions

Started Feb-19 by cubs.fan; 912 views.
cubs.fan

Feb-19

Thought a general thread was in order.

The Southwest Stakes was run in a faster time than the Razorback (.06 seconds), the race prior at the same distance for older horses. Wells Bayou was winging it on the front end only to be caught by Silver Prospector. Wells Bayou jumped off the page while looking at the Triple Crown early nominees. Speed with a ton of stamina.

RAESFAN

Feb-20

You know i for one, can never resist a thread like this, so here goes. Everyone knows the major players in the three year old field, but as always, I love to look for those under the radar types.

In another thread, I mentioned a horse I really like by the name of Attachment Rate. This Hard Spun colt, out of an Afleet Alex mare, first showed some serious talent in his second start, closing from way back to get second. He followed that up with an impressive win at Gulfstream this past weekend at a mile run in 1:35. The track was sloppy and sealed, but in his previous start, the surface was dry.

Normally, I wouldn't be excited about a horse than ran fifth in his last race, a relatively minor stakes race in Laurel(Miracle Wood). However, when you look at the race and see how the horse blew the start, then was allowed to sprint up to second place by Irad Ortiz, as if he was Secretariat in the Preakness, he can be forgiven for flattening  out in stretch.

Of course, the reason I am enamored with this horse is his connections. Anyone that was around this site in 2003/2004, know that I was on the Smarty Jones bandwagon from his Nursery Stakes performance at Parx as a juvy. No Derby win gave me more joy! Dreams Untold is by Smarty Jones, out of a Seattle Slew mare. On the dam side, though at different points, the pedigree goes through the Boldnesian line, which makes them fairly closely related. Take a look at Dreams Untold's previous start, breaking his maiden in 1/4/2020 at Parx(also on a sloppy/sealed track), and you will see a talented horse that deserves another chance at the stakes level. Could it be a bit of Deja Vu for the Servis/Chapman partnership. Maybe they need to have a conversation with Ortiz, after his Stew Elliot-esque Belmont ride in the Miracle Wood. 

Northof64

Feb-20

I read Structor's connections are considering a try on dirt in the Holy Bull.  Now that would spice things up even more! 

Outside of the obvious ones does anyone have thoughts on Great Power and Sole Volante?

North

Gerh

Feb-20

Stricter supposedly going to Fountain of Youth.Would not be surprised to see Sole Volante going to Fair Grounds and utilizing that long stretch.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Northof64

Feb-20

Thanks for the correction Gerh.

North

In reply toRe: msg 4
Plus2lbs

Feb-20

Glad to know Structor going to show up..

Gonna make my yearly trip to GP for FOY day..

Giddyup..

Gerh

Feb-20

That should be a great day.I am hoping to get to the Tampa Bay Derby this year

RAESFAN

Feb-21

Great Power is a fast horse. I don't know if he stalked a very fast pace last race, or if he was just outrun early. He would need to throttle it down a bit to last at longer distances.

Sole Volante has probably impressed me the most of any stakes winner in the division thus far. His performance in the Mucho Macho Man was okay coming off a couple of impressive turf races. Then he stepped it up significantly to handily defeat a divisional leader in Tampa. This is a VERY interesting horse! I also love these colts that were bought for modest sums(6k as a yearling, 20k as a juvy).

smartyslew

Feb-22

I have Sole Volante penciled in for the Belmont stks if he can take to dirt(g1)

Foaled in April he has the great Mare Miesque as a Rasmussen Factor with Kingmambo(CS)

his BM Sire and bred for Turf he ran a very fast mile on turf at 2 yr olds. tried dirt won the Sam Davis

stakes At Tampa. the April Foal has great potential imho. I'm not a fan of his trainer Biancone..

Edit Raes i didn't see your message 8 before i wrote this message, if I did it would of been directed

to you.

• Edited February 22, 2020 2:15 pm  by  smartyslew
smartyslew

Feb-22

Sole Volante has a great distance pedigree and Maybe by a Japan sire

the price was cheap in the USA. just a guess.