Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Saudi Cup   General Discussions

Started Feb-29 by RAESFAN; 403 views.
RAESFAN

Feb-29

Max is just a really nice horse! That race was strangely run. Jocks seemed to be concerned with shutting down or forcing out Maximum Security, it looked like NASCAR for a while there. I think if Mucho Gusto could have been kept straight in the stretch, he might have held second.

smartyslew

Feb-29

The jock on Mucho was race riding on to mac navigating east and west to make him go around

and over earn the Win and he did.Like you said it cost him second.

This Win was one of the best earned Wins I have ever seen no matter the time of the race.

He earned every million down to the penny..

Gerh

Mar-1

Read on Bloodhorse that Mike Smith was suspended and fined 200k for excessive use of the whip on Midnight Bisou.Ortiz was suspended and fined for his ride in race 8 on Friday.He was lucky not to get penalized for his ride on Mucho Gusto.

In reply toRe: msg 3
TexSquared

Mar-1

Ortiz should have gotten days for careless riding.  He tried to block Maximum Security at least twice in the stretch and Jason Servis said he did it down the backstretch too.  Thing is, Mucho Gusto was already tired at the 1/8 pole (which might also explain him bearing out and in), so if Luis doesn't get around him as he managed to do, Midnight Bisou wins the race and Mucho just gets placed behind wherever Max ended up. 

Gerh

Mar-1

Totally agree Tex.He got 8 days for excessive use on Friday.He should have gotten 8 more for the ride on Mucho Gusto.

Gerh

Mar-1

On the subject of the Saudi Cup,it would be real nice if Aidan would give Magic Wand a break.She didn’t belong in this race.If humans ever go to Mars,O’Brien will probably try to ship her there.She deserves a nice rest.

In reply toRe: msg 6
DogsUp

Mar-1

The race was truly a classic.  Irad's strategy was by the book. It happens all the time. A jock can take his mount wide, lane by lane til he can eye ball the hot dog stand. Conversely, taking an opposing horse(s) to the rail can create the foul of herding. The second guessing is if Irad had used the horse to rouse him to the line, an offense move, rather than the defensive move, ah ha. My first thought was, yes this horse won his / the Kentucky Derby. 

There is one horse that will beat Max Security at a greater distance. This race was short IMHO for 20 mil.       Benbati. 

• Edited March 1, 2020 1:54 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 7
Gerh

Mar-1

It was a good race but I would have preferred to see it at 1 and 1/4 miles.I expected a little more from Tacitus.He seemed to hang a bit at the end

In reply toRe: msg 8
DogsUp

Mar-1

BTW...both Smith + Ortiz were fined for excessive whipping late. (d)  They had that 1 million dollars jockey fee dancing in their heads. 

ChiefsCrown

Mar-1

Agreed....McKinzie let me down. i would have had the super but he was up the track. 

Max proved he's no fluke

Midnight Bisou is definately a tough fillie to rekon with. Whether she can get the Dubai 1 1/4 miles trip remains to be seen. Right now we'll see who is entered in the DWC this month.  Right now my exacta for the DWC would be Quip and Benbatl.

Cash anything on the FOY?