Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

27 horsemen charged...   General Discussions

Started Mar-9 by TexSquared; 1182 views.
TexSquared

Mar-9

Tip of the iceberg...  Alex Harthill lives on...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/09/sports/horse-racing-doping.html

The scheme, as laid out in four separate indictments against a total of 27 people, was to manufacture and distribute adulterated and misbranded drugs and to secretly administer them to racehorses under their control.

TexSquared

Mar-9

Wondering now if the Saudi Cup will disqualify Maximum Security and order the purses redistributed... as could NYRA for his Cigar Mile win.   (that means Midnight Bisou should be declared the Saudi Cup winner!)

Lance Armstrong was wiped off the record books for his steroid use, same thing....

Gerh

Mar-10

I would imagine that Maximum Security will be stripped of a lot of titles For all who thought that Country House should have an asterisk next to his Derby,I wonder what they would put next to every race Maximum Security ran.Maybe Gary West can sue somebody....

In reply toRe: msg 4
Gerh

Mar-10

Just read that Maximum Security is being moved to Baffert.Shows what kind of human being Gary West is

In reply toRe: msg 5
RAESFAN

Mar-10

Just ready that. This poor horse. Reminds me of Pig-Pen" in the Charlie Brown comics. This cloud of dirt is always around him!

twoshots

Mar-10

What is the drug policy for racing in Saudi? I'm under the impression that for the Dubai races, drugs i.e. Lasix are prohibited.

TexSquared

Mar-10

The Saudi Cup races were drug-free, but they got away with it because the "designer drug" avoids detection.  This has been going on for more than a year and Max wasn't caught at any of the Florida Derby, Kentucky Derby, Pegasus Stakes, Haskell Invitational, Bold Ruler Handicap, Cigar Mile Handicap, or the Saudi Cup.  Considering he would have gone to the test barn for ALL of those races, that is scary.   This is the equine version of Lance Armstrong.

You have to wonder if they ducked the Breeders' Cup Classic (or Dirt Mile) knowing the BC (and California overall what with those breakdowns) might use better testing.

twoshots

Mar-10

Thanks for the info. I have no problem if they take him down for the Saudi win, Jason Servis is obviously dirty, as several on this forum hinted last year. Maximum Security won't lose any sleep over whether he was first or last in that race. It will be interesting to see how he does under Baffert though.

• Edited March 10, 2020 4:35 pm  by  twoshots
In reply toRe: msg 9
TexSquared

Mar-10

I'd be interested to know if Gary West knew something was up. 

But IMHO the guy who gets screwed the most from all this is Luis Saez.  After the Derby DQ he served a 15-day suspension, which was to be expected, but every other ride aboard MS after that has been clean, including the Saudi Cup.  The Saudi Arabian stewards didn't penalize him for any of his rides that weekend, unlike Mike Smith and Irad Ortiz Jr. 

Just feels wrong for Luis to potentially lose all that purse money (not just in the Saudi Cup but all those other races) if the various racing authorities go back and DQ all those races, when he had nothing to do with this.