Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Racing and COVID-19   General Discussions

Started Mar-12 by TexSquared; 379 views.
TexSquared

Mar-12

So the NBA just suspended its season until further notice, the NCAA playoffs will go on but with no fans in the stands (other than immediate family members, media, and necessary staff to host the game), and some NHL games will be played without fans in the stands (San Jose, since that county is prohibiting gatherings of 1000+ people).  

Given we're getting close to Triple Crown season, any chance this will mess things up for our sport?    Imagine the Derby with nobody in the stands at Churchill Downs (it would be like every other race day...).  A Triple Crown on the line at Belmont Park and nobody can watch?   At least Pimlico's aging infrastructure gets a reprieve from having to hold 100,000 people it can't take....

honneerider

Mar-12

"With the event still seven weeks away," Churchill's statement reads on the Derby, "a decision will be made closer to that date, with respect to postponing the event until later in the year, using the most recent information while working with and seeking guidance from public health experts and authorities."

decision coming later on Derby... run it later in the year WHAT????

DogsUp

Mar-12

"decision coming later on Derby... run it later in the year WHAT????" 

That's heart felt, perplexing and funny here too.

So now we see the virus could affect everything..even Our Derby..right down to the guy who sells the mint for juleps. 

• Edited March 12, 2020 6:23 pm  by  DogsUp
twoshots

Mar-12

Keeneland, for the early part of its meet, and Turfway, for the remainder of theirs, are saying they will race without fans in the stands.

PISTOL9

Mar-13

CD I would think will not do that.  They make a ton on those overpriced seats.  I'd got to believe they will try to delay it rather than run with no fans

smartyslew

Mar-13

I think You nailed it.also they need that mint julep money to help pay their bonus'

PISTOL9

Mar-13

Their stock has already had a huge hit to it due to this and the drug penalty issues.  Almost half its high less than a month ago.   If it is actually stopped or ran with no fans it will fall even more if the speculation becomes a reality.  I can't see them letting it take a hit any more if they can prevent it.

ChiefsCrown

Mar-14

Run it on the first Saturday in July?....That would be the 4th, nice a big card of races and fireworks after. Just doesn't sound right!

Wintertrian

Mar-16

PISTOL9 said...

CD I would think will not do that.  They make a ton on those overpriced seats.  I'd got to believe they will try to delay it rather than run with no fans

CD is not the final arbiter here........do you have any idea how DIFFICULT it would be to keep the horses on the leaderboard who will make the gate IN CONDITION if they postpone this race?   Horses who will  not have any recent races, and who will have to continue to be worked and maintain CONDITION for how many extra weeks or months?

THey'd never get 20 horses to run in this scenario.....no horseman is going to agree to that. 

I guess it could happen.  This is JMHO.  This is asking a whole lot from both the horses and the horsemen. They have already TIMED the campaigns for their horses.  Down to the days.