Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Self Quarantining ...   Off Topic

Started Apr-9 by Husker (Birdman506); 1250 views.
Wintertrian

May-1

Northof64 said...

I have a small apartment in the city I work but go to my 11 acres and retirement home every weekend in northern Wisconsin. Don’t go anywhere or stop anywhere.

I love wisconsin.  esp. appleton.  
Its just too cold there for me.  It's a really nice state though and the people are very polite, sort of how they are polite in arkansas.

Wintertrian

May-1

zambito said...

But I have to say that being at home for 2 months has left me in a state of depression that's unbearable

Gotta pull on those inner resources, we're all pretty much in same boat
I saw some bad stuff in Huntington Beach today, it's getting out of hand the way people are practically rioting
Good pickin' on those horse races though!
OP last day is tomorrow.......I always get said when the last day at Oaklawn comes. 
Now I will just be walking more and catching up on stuff that I don't really want to do ..... chore type paperwork and such

smartyslew

May-1

Are you going tomorrow or staying home? Be safe!

From Lauren for tomorrow:::  

After watching the Conveyor Belt Stakes -- er, the Fantasy Stakes -- over the suped-up Oaklawn Park surface, Bob Baffert must have a huge smile on his face thinking his two Arkansas Derby favorites tomorrow, Charlatan and Nadal, will LOVE the speed bias. I am totally fed up with track superintendents suping up their dirt surfaces for big races, making it a horribly un-level playing field.

cubs.fan

May-2

A cursory glance at the results/PPs show that a vast majority of ITM horses were EP4 or higher and came from no more than 2-3 lengths off the pace in their prior start.

smartyslew

May-2

Sounds like you are doing some DD for Oaklawns racing today.

Its obvious in my view to watch for the bias and weather conditions

all day long, thanks for the info, it might be a  EP4 or higher day.

saying that in a graded race sometimes the best elite horse will win no matter

the style.If you think you like one in that category mix with some EP4's in your exotics

one of the EP4's tire before  the 9f mark, but which one.

Northof64

May-4

Our retirement home is about an hour and a half north of Appelton.

I'm aware of the hospitality in Arkansas.  We went to Oaklawn a few years back and had a wonderful time.  Hot Springs looks like a great place to live.  We stayed at the Comfort Suites and walked to the track.  I believe I remember the stable pony you referenced in another thread. 

I found this last week leading up to the first Saturday in May quite depressing because of no derby.  I enjoy the calculating and cross referencing on this site more than the race itself. Take Care Winter.

North

DogsUp

May-4

I'm all in with your comment of sharing and sparing and laughing in preparation of the Kentucky Derby. Most of all a kindness and respect for the peeps here and a salute from all I'm sure to Tex & Cindy. 

Prepping for the Derby has been a self imposed joy that I sorely missed, but the time and events were more substantial than the first 4 places in a horse race.  I can't recall the name of the woman who has since past that said..We are the lucky ones to enjoy this Foolish Pleasure 

(d)

PISTOL9

May-4

Not a whole lot has changed for me for this.  I have not worked for a year and a half.  Kind of been looking but not real serious as I have been expecting something to come up and destabilize everything.  Been doing a lot more hiking rather than looking at PPs and replays, just enjoying the spring.  Once things shut down, I've been going up to my parents every now and then to make sure they have stuff.  My mom is one of those who are at risk for any type of flu or virus having some immune problems which anything can throw any sickness into some major problems.  So, I have been seeing a lot more of my parents than normal.  My sister lives in the same area as they do, but she is still working, so I try to help her cover.   I have not really been around people much, never close to anyone since March 12th.  

Any math people here?  A few weeks ago, I went to the CDC site and got their data ( they have it in a CSV format) for flu/pneumonia type deaths.    I could not find anything about total deaths, but then figured out that would be skewed since people not on road much or working so that would not be a good comparison so those may be down relative to past years.  But looking at flu/pneumonia type deaths this year and comparing to past years as well as digging down into separating out flu/pneumonia/covid for this year was interesting.  They have totals by week if I remember, so you can plot the trends.  Covid was not "introduced" to their data till mid-late winter this year.  I think in the future they will go back again and look at things and revise the current numbers as they look more into the origination of the data. 

Wintertrian

May-25

Northof64 said...

I'm aware of the hospitality in Arkansas.  We went to Oaklawn a few years back and had a wonderful time.  Hot Springs looks like a great place to live.  We stayed at the Comfort Suites and walked to the track.  I believe I remember the stable pony you referenced in another thread. 

Next time you come, go dig for some diamonds at Crater of Diamonds...every couple of years somebody finds "a big one", otherwise you will find lots of flakes you can keep in a glass cylinder for memories.   

Also check out some of the crystal digging places. 

Arkansas has what’s renowned as some of the finest quartz in the world --Ouachita Mountains has some of the world’s largest and finest deposits of quartz crystals. and is I believe the only mountain range in N.A. that runs east to west --- The quartz occurs in a narrow belt about 30 miles wide and 170 miles long, but the clearest points and the largest clusters are found in the mountains surrounding Hot Springs and many specimens from here are now in museums, galleries and private collections all around the world.

And then of course we have our hot springs, and many community spiggots where you can fill up your bottles (bring some gallon containers with you) and take home some lovely drinking water.  

Wintertrian

May-25

PISTOL9 said...

ut looking at flu/pneumonia type deaths this year and comparing to past years as well as digging down into separating out flu/pneumonia/covid for this year was interesting. 

I have come to the conclusion that the only way to calculate fairly is by "excess deaths", and compare to past flu seasons.  That way we can tell different between covid and seasonal flu numbers.   Just the way I do it, many data models out there to choose from and play around with. 

I began a more strict stay-at-home lifestyle sometime at the end of February, once I decided I wasn't going to the Rebel Stakes, which was right after Valentines Day.  OP saved me the trouble as it became spectator-less by then, but I had no plans to be in a crowd of 35-60K at the time, even if they had not.  :)   Been keeping a low profile since then but did got out by the fences w/my binoculars and kind of "tailgate" a lot of the OP races, locating at the far parking lot situated right at the turn before the stretch.  That was fun and others were doing the same thing, so still got to see "live horses" running.