Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Belmont Stakes June 6: DogsUp Delighted see   Triple Crown

Started May-19 by DogsUp; 378 views.
DogsUp

May-19

Mile and an eighth. Not mile and half.  No fans.

First guess is purse money can't be carried over to fall meet.  

Now points to Derby a different scramble. IF..But it has not been included in the point

Schedule races. So "who gonna' show up?

And mile and eighth makes it the shortest of Crown Jewels.

• Edited May 19, 2020 1:42 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 1
TexSquared

May-19

I don't get the distance at all. The horses have been running 9f preps all spring; by late June they're ready to go 10, more than they normally would be in early May!  I was expecting the Belmont to be at 1 1/4....  

DogsUp

May-19

LOL they didn't ask me either.

If this is not installed, reinstated in schedule as a point race (by Triple crown peeps) say a Wood Memorial transfusion, owners will go for point races because they want to win the ultimate race, the Kentucky Derby 

(d)

In reply toRe: msg 3
ChiefsCrown

May-19

1 1/8 miles and 1 turn?....Quality Road distance. Chances are the winner of this race won't get the classic distance or at least i won't be betting him in the derby. Plus 150 pts for the winner towards the derby?

Should have been run at the 1 1/2 miles. i'm thinking 10 -11 weeks in between Belmont/Derby should be no issue for these equines...jmo!

Northof64

May-20

Why even call it the Belmont? 1-1/8?

YAWN!!!!!!!

Msg 1467.6 deleted
DogsUp

May-20

And if a colt with enough points already enters?!

The reduced distance makes street sense in that it will draw in quality colts for exorbitant Derby points. And if winding up empty handed, horse can recover for other point races.

• Edited May 20, 2020 5:53 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 7
ChiefsCrown

May-20

Dogs, agreed on your point. maybe they're thinking about a 1 1/8 mi. vs. 1 1/2 mi  could be that these youngsters never ran that distance before and might ruin them for the other two legs. NYRA decision possibly.

Anyway just glad their is a Belmont Stakes for the Triple Crown. If this is the new normal, i want the old normal back!

By the time the derby rolls around the top horse could rack up around 200+ pts.

DogsUp

May-21

Chief ..Im interested to see who goes into the race and who may not go into the race because of others entered. Bel Stakes was never for points, obvious, yet Wood was the NYRA circuit point race