Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Belmont Stakes   Triple Crown

Started Jun-18 by TexSquared; 874 views.
TexSquared

Jun-18

So the race was only delayed 2 weeks but it's now the start of the Triple Crown and it's a 1 1/8 mile sprint (one turn race)...

http://www.horse-races.net/library/bel20-entries.htm

So much for the "Test of a Champion".

princeofdoc

Jun-18

I guess one can see it from that perspective, Tex, but I'm taking a different stance.....I'm just so excited that my favorite two sports, horseracing and golf, are far ahead of the curve, and are resuming at least some semblance of competition ahead of the other sports.

9 furlongs is not a sprint, even if it is one turn, at least not to me.....sure, it may be bucking the long-held tradition, but at least it's an attempt to return to normalcy.  Perhaps it's not a test of a champion, but it is certainly a good place to begin the road to the Derby fresh.  I'm looking at it as a Derby prep, nothing more, nothing less.  I think it will be a good test, and I'm looking for someone to bump off the favorite....who is coming in after too long a layoff to be sharp (hopefully)

I bet Max Player....who is also coming off a long layoff, but he has been training nicely at Belmont for 6 weeks, and is at a much better price.  I actually got him yesterday, after the draw, in Vegas at 25-1, even though his morning line is only 15-1.  I think he'll be bet down a bit, perhaps to 12-1, so I liked my price :)

Gerh

Jun-19

At least we got to see the true “Test of a Champion” at Royal Ascot in the Gold Cup.Stradavarius put on a show.Could come back next year and try for a fourth

DogsUp

Jun-19

Nice job Tex & Cindy..

Unless colt bounces off proven near track record of a 1/16 of a mile shorter than Bel Stakes at Belmont Park...Tapit to Win Delta colt. Post # 1

• Edited June 19, 2020 4:26 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 4
DogsUp

Jun-19

Anecdotally Johnny V picks up mount Tapit to Win for a Big race. Happens all the time. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
DogsUp

Jun-19

Sole V #2 Another who could bounce and really..had to be shipped FedEx. Good Beyers and 6 races..6 pay checks including 2 initial wins on grass.Switch to dirt and improved dirt along way.  Owner paid $15 K to enter. Appears to be an early runner to stay with the 109 and change 6 furlongs required in Bel Stakes. Is 2nd ML but..out of town jock could get owned by NY homie jocks who know every grain of the Big Sandy track

• Edited June 19, 2020 4:25 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 6
DogsUp

Jun-19

#3 Max Player. Owner NJ money magnet and had a passion for the game. Can take calculated chances, yet Monday can say he was all in.

Caution..gets Rosario but picks up 8 lbs..layoff Feb. Would have to take to track surface and run 5 seconds faster to stay any where near.

• Edited June 19, 2020 6:19 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 7
DogsUp

Jun-19

#4 Modernist. Another who doesn't have early 6 fl staying power.  Nor Grade 1 this distance potential. I think trainer Mott would be surprised. 

In reply toRe: msg 8
DogsUp

Jun-19

#5 Farm Road...Jock shock...J J. Castellano knows When to ride a horse. He's like a periscope officer on a submarine. Look. Watch. View. See. Be sure. Fire 1. Fire 2. He knows what everybody is do-in. Third time with blinkers. If skills prevail, his 5th aboard and he can Save 2 - 3 seconds..conserve..not make faster.JJ never won this one or a Derby...

• Edited June 20, 2020 12:43 am  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 9
DogsUp

Jun-19

#6 Fore Left..Left dirt for grass and plastic tracks. Not so good at it. New jock knows the drill. Bullet 59 this track.