Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

OFF the Trail already Dropping flies   Triple Crown

Started Aug-13 by Wintertrian; 1166 views.
Wintertrian

Aug-13

Of course the "official" KY Derby site has made no updates to their leaderboard.   
I heard these have dropped out, can someone confirm?  My top 10 list just changed now due to having to filter in horses waiting on the bubble who may now get in and have a shot.,,,,,,,as well as skipping over the ones who were on the bubble next but who are also not under consideration anymore.   ARGH 

Shivaree
Country Grammer
Anneau D’Or
South Bend
Dean Martini
Shared Sense
Uncle Chuck 

chroses

Aug-13

This year is either gonna pay huge or nothing at all

DogsUp

Aug-13

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses

This has correct points.

It is possible that a field of 20 may not go to the gate inasmuch as vanity owner may not have cash. But. That option can be sold to share the experience.

Jocks and trainers and owners play poker, the card game. Often. The best way to bluff..is not to bluff. 

20 Gate!?

• Edited August 13, 2020 4:12 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 3
princeofdoc

Aug-13

I think we may for the first time in a long time actually have fewer than 20 in the gate at post time......several who have points definitely have no chance, and will hopefully not enter.  The difference in previous years is that the ones who have no chance are still being tested, and the favorite has not necessarily shown what Tiz has this year....

Maybe even a horse with NO POINTS could enter, like Shirl, who turned in an unbelievable workout recently...

PISTOL9

Aug-13

Now that they have a new gate ( I think they do )  I would guess there may be less than 14.

DogsUp

Aug-14

There's got to be hundreds of vanity wanna be and present owners who would buy into an eligible runner to be in and at the 146th September Kentucky Derby.

If I had that kind of disposable cash. All In.

Funny Cide's people touted the poor boys/girls taking a school bus to the Derby. They actually had Jack Knowlton as a parachute partner.

In reply toRe: msg 6
DogsUp

Aug-14

Jockeys for Derby will report by Aug 31 per quarantine rule. And again face same at return to home track colony.

This will provide an early signal as to conclusive entries. In some cases there may be a new rider on a substantial entry. Or electing a leading jockey at the meet..

• Edited August 14, 2020 3:21 pm  by  DogsUp
In reply toRe: msg 7
smartyslew

Aug-15

per drf: thru Downey latest scuttlebut.
Please don't ruin Shirl he is special this is from me
--

Jockey-Go-Round is in full swing. Joel Rosario, Luis Saez and the Ortiz brothers will not be heading to Louisville anytime soon; instead, they will stay at Saratoga through the end of its meet on Sept. 7. Jose Ortiz was not aligned with a Kentucky Derby prospect. Irad Ortiz, Jr. has been riding Dr Post. Rosario has ridden both Max Player and Enforceable. Going to the Derby from New York are Manny Franco (Tiz the Law), John Velazquez (Authentic), Javier Castellano (Caracaro), Tyler Gaffalione and Ricardo Santana, Jr. Florent Geroux is based at Ellis Park and will ride Thousand Words. Source: DRF.

Saturday: Storm the Court to Kentucky Derby. So is Shirl's Speight, if he can get in.
--

DogsUp

Aug-15

The Ortiz bros tie up a lot of horses and the NY bred races as well.

The conundrum is say Paco Lopez, Joey Bravo or Jose Lezcano were asked to ride?the Derby they would have?To give up their first call mounts. As well as give up. and staying back in NY and gaining choice mounts as change of riders.

What's coming up on my radar is J J Castellano.

Johnny Vee and trainer Pletcher have been first call rider teamed forever. Aside, for one Derby Johnny Vee had 2 mounts in the Derby and rode against Todd and connections. Much to the dismay of his agent Angel Cordero.

There are some owners who can afford to offer a sub rider a fee to cover lost purse winnings opportunities.

This is a crunchy Derby, but leading up to it now, data construction, and when the gates open, sipping a beer and cradling a maduro...it's arguably the best race to be all into. (d)

princeofdoc

Aug-15

Would running in the Derby ruin Shirl's Speight?  Recent workout was ridiculously good....Circa added him to their Derby futures, took a sizable bet, he's down to 50-1.  If he makes the gate, he'll be way lower than that, probably single digits.

Be the first time no points gets into the Derby!