Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Senor Buscador "Springs" into action!   Triple Crown

Started Dec-20 by RAESFAN; 1902 views.
smartyslew

Jan-18

That last Quarter in 24.26  and at least 8 wide. I didn't check the size of that track

close to the rail might slow a talented fast horse on that track because of a small oval

like old Playfair Park in Spokane.

princeofdoc

Jan-18

Hmmm, the Springboard Mile horse was definitely outclassed by a weak 3 yr. old field at FG this weekend.  Don't want to assume that Senor can't compete, but the field he beat may be suspect.

Thoughts?

RAESFAN

Jan-18

I think Senor Buscador was so much better than those horses that I don’t really care about the field. He was visually impressive, and the numbers backed him up.

smartyslew

Jan-18

What Steve H. says here is vintage Raesfan eyeballs and small tracks and foresight to scout talent.
has him ranked #3 already. found on facebook.

3. Senor Buscador (Todd Fincher, Mineshaft – Rose’s Desert, by Desert God)

This ranking is from the heart as well as the visuals and will be explained next week. It is based on two eye-popping performances at Remington Park, yes, Remington Park. People frown on horses who come from the clouds, but this horse doesn’t just rally from far back to win, he inhales his opponents and leaves them for dead. In both his starts he was never hustled out of the gate and immediately fell five lengths behind the next-to-last horse. In his debut going 5 1/2 furlongs, he took off around the turn, fanned seven-wide and flew by the leaders with only 50 yards to go and still won off by 2 1/2 lengths in a sprightly 1:03 3/5, earning a solid “7” Thoro-Graph figure. Stretching out to a mile in the Springboard Mile, he was 15 lengths back down the backstretch, but again kicked into high gear on the turn, fanned eight-wide, and blew by the leaders at the eighth pole like they were moving in slow motion. In a flash, he was three in front and just kept pouring it on to win by almost six lengths, coming home his last eighth in :12 flat and final three-eighths in a rapid :36 flat, this time earning a sensational “2 3/4″ Thoro-Graph figure, the same as Life is Good in the Sham Stakes. You rarely see such explosions and big winning margins from a deep closer. We should get a better line on him when runner-up Cowan runs in the Smarty Jones Stakes on Friday, but not sure he can beat Caddo River.

--- over and out

RAESFAN

Jan-18

Thanks for that shout out. I was just posting about Caddo River, my other early Derby horse.

smartyslew

Jan-18

I think Haskins is a fan of yours !

RAESFAN

Jan-18

Well, I love his historical accounts of the greats of the sport. I know he gets mocked a bit for his “dapples” comments, but he is actually a good writer.

princeofdoc

Jan-19

Yes to all of this, but he is also making my point, as did Raes when I posted about Red n Wild running in the Le Comte......there is an interest in seeing how the other horses from that race who hit the board do in their next outing.  So the 3rd place horse, Red N Wild, could not compete at all with that field.  Perhaps he wasn't well, or didn't like FG.  Nonetheless, we were watching, hoping......and the same will happen as we watch the Smarty Jones on Friday at OP.  If the horse runs well, we can mention how that validates the race at Remington.  If he doesn't, we can say that Senor was just that much better, so visually impressive, that it doesn't matter.

Win-Win!

smartyslew

Jan-19

Yeah its Remington not known as a group having g1 type 2 yr olds

this set up reminds me of Smarty Jones eye poppin win at 2.

Not saying he is another Smarty Jones, I will say he ran his own race

8 wide and the rest were closer to the rail and a different grade. 

that horse this Friday was 3 lengths a head of Senor at 6f and finished 8 3/4

behind him I don't see him belonging in the SJ coming up and I don't expect much.

that's my view and its up to him to prove me wrong. good luck

princeofdoc

Jan-21

I'm not expecting much from him either......I like Caddo River here, not a strong field imho