Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Feb. Derby Top 20   Triple Crown

Started Feb-2 by princeofdoc; 693 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
princeofdoc

Feb-8

Several of these are to run in the coming week.....hoping that Senor Buscador and Keepmeinmind complete the exacta in the Risen Star :)

I'm certainly glad that I didn't give into the hype surrounding Bezos!  Though one of the favorites in the Derby Futures, he didn't crack my top 20, and Concert Tour is still placed on in 7th.....we need to see if he can manage 2 turns competitively, probably in the San Felipe in 4 weeks.

I wouldn't have added any of the winners from the weekend to this list, perhaps with the exception of Freedom Fighter, who may continue stepping forward, as he was quite competitive in the San Vincente

smartyslew

Feb-8

I suggest you have raced with lasix in last race or as a 2 yr old in your tool box.

Capo Kane with soft fractions and on the lead in a 8.5 f race hit a wall and is bred for a

Classic distance. Brings questions , did he bleed, How good is his trainer, I never heard of before,

Did he have him ready, in his races he doesn't finish strong, drifts and or fades.

In the upcoming preps watch who is use to lasix and how many races have they used it

and how long since the last time they used it. It could be a useful tool.

Do some DD on the preps already run on this subject.

princeofdoc

Feb-8

Absolutely.....Lasix is a huge factor, and I'm not sure of the recent rules.  I believe all 2 year old stakes were restricted from using, but 3 year olds can use it. 

Are you clear about the rules?  I did hear an interview with one of the top trainers, I think on Ron Flatter's podcast, who was quite wistful regarding Lasix......feeling that it not only doesn't hurt horses, but can actually be beneficial, though he definitely abides by the rules.  I know one of my older relatives has been on Lasix for years and counts that medication as extremely helpful.

Msg 1602.5 deleted
smartyslew

Feb-8

I don't know the updated med. rules.

In reply toRe: msg 1
princeofdoc

Feb-27

My UTR colt, Undefeated, is off the TC trail.....was really hoping he would work well and run in the LA Derby...well, maybe he'll resurface in the summer

Wintertrian

Mar-3

princeofdoc said...

I think on Ron Flatter's podcast, who was quite wistful regarding Lasix......feeling that it not only doesn't hurt horses, but can actually be beneficial, though he definitely abides by the rules.  I know one of my older relatives has been on Lasix for years and counts that medication as extremely helpful.

Plenty of drugs help people, for instance, caffeine, when you need to stay awake;  even nicotine (if not delivered via a combustible) for people with colon problems, etc.  

The point is that medications, like Thryro-X (which Baffert was giving to his young horses) is a medication, ie. for hypothyroidism, enlarged thyroid gland and thyroid cancer.  Why would anyone give an entire barn of young horses this if they are not ill?     Heck horse have been given cocaine in the past..........drugs.  

Ditto, lasix.   Nobody else uses it in the world.  We are the outliers.   Bottom line we encourage bleeders in the gene pool by not getting them out of racing.   High level bleeders have no business racing.  That is what the rest of the world has figured out.  

For whatever reason we insist on being "drug dependent".   It's baffling.   Time to start weeding them out, so we can have some hope that in a few breeding cycles we can rid high level bleeders out of the racing stock.    I realize this will take some time, but start.  Do it slowly if necessary but for god sakes, DO IT.  

People like Ron Flatter are apologists for this abuse.....and I find it THOROUGHLY unacceptable that anyone would be *wistful" about it, as human beings who were once addicts aren't exactly wistful about how it was for them when they were alcoholics or drug addicts.   

And most importantly, the reason I find his attitude unforgiveable is because horses can't self-reflect......they can't say no to injections and drugs in their feed.......they are made into addicts on a NON VOLUNTARY BASIS.  After being bred "for" the racetrack, which we know now should not even be happening at all for some horses.  

THat to me is animal cruelty. 

And Ron Flatter and others like him are not "speaking for the horses" when they say things like this.  As time goes on we have more studies and proof about the inner life and outer life of animals, and we no longer keep social animals in captivity, alone, in solitary confinement, as we have done in the past.  That is why thoughtful caring people don't tie their dogs up on a chain in the backyard, away from family and human activity.....because we know they are social animals who have an emotional life.  

The good ol days weren't that good. 

smartyslew

Mar-3

I don't know if its true, and I don't know why it wouldn't be, I heard some breeders want to breed their mares to Run Happy who raced Lasix free.

In reply toRe: msg 9
Wintertrian

Mar-3

Any thoughts on Roman Centurian and Moraz, the Empire Makers, with Callaghan/McCarthy?

Moraz has that long muscle sinnewy router type body.   Roman is beefier.   Guess we'll see the latter in the San Felipe this week.  Don't know when Moraz is going again but he intrigues me.....homebred. 

I like those 2. 

Just notice that The Great One is a Louisiana bred.  Don't think one of those has won the Derby yet?