Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Saudi Cup photos   General Discussions

Started Feb-18 by TexSquared; 597 views.
In reply toRe: msg 1
TexSquared

Feb-20

Friday morning workouts:
http://www.horse-races.net/library/saudicup21-fr-works.htm

Jockeys Challenge and International Handicap on Friday night
http://www.horse-races.net/library/saudicup21-jcresults.htm

Msg 1613.3 deleted
SameSteve G

Feb-20

Thanks for all the quality photos & interesting text, my friend.

I was quite happy to see the John Gosden team prevail in the Saudi Cup.  In my opinion, he has no peer as a horseman among the current practitioners & also qualifies as an all-time great.  His son comported himself with class as the man on the ground at the track & a fabulous win for the young up & coming rider, David Egan. 

The 4 year old Mishriff was the star of the show, going from the turf to the Saudi sandy dirt.  He handled the surface so well & was prepared to handle the distance at the pace.  $41.00(+) such a gift for a legitimate winner.  Gotta love it.  :)

Barnes brought over a short horse for Baffert in Charlatan.  Super talented but coming in off a single sprint race, no matter the furlongs logged in the a.m. = short horse.

SameSteve G

Feb-23

More equine eye candy from Horse-Races.net.

I really liked the looks of Spanish Mission prior to The Red Sea Turf but I missed the race & now I see he ran 2nd to a 93$ horse.  Yikes.

Anyway, did you pick up on the fact that the 21 year old Egan, fresh off his biggest payday of a cool mil (maybe the biggest payday of his entire riding career going forward), was also hit with the biggest fine he'll likely ever run into?  $100,000 for one whip stroke over the 10 whip stroke rule limit.  

The Saudi do not play when it comes to the whip.  Ask Mike Smith about it.  ;)

TexSquared

Feb-23

I was counting the whips by Mike down the stretch and I counted 7.  Given the JCSA's limit is 10, he was fine (and I'm sure he was counting).  Winner apparently hit 11 times (I didn't count but it looked like he was hitting more than Mike) so got the fines and suspension. 

Mike's 2-day suspension was for careless riding for cutting across another horse at the START?  That's definitely very strict, on our shores the start is usually a "put the whistle away" free for all unless a jockey got unseated by another horse's action.

SameSteve G

Feb-23

I meant last year for Smith when he got called for hitting Midnight Bisou 14 times.  9 days on the bench and, according to reports, $210,000 fine!

It's pretty simple as far as I'm concerned.  If the US regulators were serious about curtailing the unnecessary & often brutal displays of wailing away on a spent horse, they would simply rewrite the penalties to make them hurt.  Now, the riders who chronically abuse the whip know the punishment is not a real deterrent so they continue.  

I do know that the number of allowable strikes in California, for example, have been reduced, which is good.  However, if the punishment phase is not made more severe...etc.

TexSquared

Feb-23

What I'm waiting to hear is, if they disqualify Maximum Security thus making Midnight Bisou the winner, does that mean they'll have to add more to that $210K fine since now he's getting the winning jockey money and not the 2nd place money....

The rules were changed up here too, allowable strike count and also the use of the gentler whips.  

The days of jockeys whipping a horse with every stride down the lane are over.  It used to be really bad.  On this forum back in 2003 we talked about Espinoza riding Kafwain to 2nd place in the Louisiana Derby.  Victor kept hitting even when there was no way he was going to get first (like, way inside the 1/16 pole).

SameSteve G

Feb-23

Good question.   I know Smith appealed the first fine & lost.  I suppose that if the Saudi fines are strictly driven by percentages of earnings on a scale based on # of strikes over the limit, they could hit him up for some more scarole.

Yes, I remember reading about the updated whip rules at Woodbine.  That's good.

I hope you're right about the sight of riders beating on a horse with every stride down the stretch is in the rearview.

I distinctly remember watching Jorge "Chop Chop" Chavez ride 'em home while he was a top jock in NY.  Giving the owners, trainers & bettors their "money's worth".  The railbirds at Aqueduct could be brutal when certain riders came back losers.