Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Helium- Mark Casse runnner   Triple Crown

Started 4/4/21 by Wintertrian; 5362 views.
In reply toRe: msg 56
Wintertrian

4/28/21

I still like Helium and he was supplemented into the Derby.
This is not the right race for him, the Belmont might be though. 

.I realize he is probably not Street Sense, who went from Tampa Derby to KY Derby winner......but horses coming out of that race at Tampa usually do great in the Belmont....(Tapwrit, 
Destin, Tacitus).   It will be interesting to see how he runs in the Derby which requires more speed...... then I hope he goes in the Belmont.  

princeofdoc

4/28/21

A big difference with Street Sense and Helium regarding their racing pre-Derby.....Yes, they both won the Tampa Derby, but 4 weeks later, SS raced in the Bluegrass, coming in 2nd.  Helium is trying to do the near impossible and work up to the race.

I'll do some research, but I certainly cannot remember the last Derby winner who hadn't raced in 8 weeks

RAESFAN

4/28/21

Not only has Helium not raced in 8 weeks, it was his only start at three. I can't overlook all that. 

cubs.fan

4/28/21

Two others in this race as well. 

Wintertrian

4/28/21

princeofdoc said...

big difference with Street Sense and Helium regarding their racing pre-Derby..

And that's why I said:    "I realize he's not Street Sense" in my post.    :) 

To quote myself:  "This is not the right race for him (Helium), the Belmont might be though. .I realize he is probably not Street Sense, who went from Tampa Derby to KY Derby winner......but horses coming out of that race at Tampa usually do great in the Belmont"  

Not sure how you misinterpreted this to mean I thought they were alike in any way.   

In reply toRe: msg 20
Wintertrian

5/2/21

Helium sure didn't embarass himself. 
Ran right up there with the top 3 for much of the race, I was watching his saddle cloth. 

I have to wonder what Casse was thinking when he under-prepared this horse for the race.  This one could have been a contender in the superfecta.  Meanwhile Casse literally gave him no prep, no bottom.  Given that, the horse did very well. 

Ran out of steam around the time EQ passed him.