Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Medina Spirit - Positive - Betamethasone   Triple Crown

Started 5/9/21 by SameSteve G; 20290 views.
SameSteve G

5/9/21

Being reported in all the outlets.  Medina Spirit tests positive for betamethasone which is the same drug that Gamine tested positive for last year.  That's 5 positives for Baffert since May 2020.

Of course, he denies any administration of said drug & vows to fight tooth & nail.  

Remains to be seen if the 2nd test comes back positive & triggers a disqualification from the Derby win.

Very bad for a sport that is already suffering from death by 1000 cuts.

https://apnews.com/hub/bob-baffert

Oldbettowin

5/9/21

Even money they decide it was a false positive. 

SameSteve G

5/9/21

If the split sample comes back negative then the 1st test is called a false positive.  If the split comes back positive it should trigger a DQ.

Let's see what happens.  I dislike Mr. Baffert's effect on the sport so you know which way I hope this goes.  :)

PISTOL9

5/9/21

Great news, too late to help those who bet against.  Hopefully it sticks and BB stops getting these super horses appear after showing they don't want the distance.  So it is possible Mandaloun gets put up?  Would love that.  Hopefully affects Preakness.  Since mainstream outlets carrying the news, have to believe or hope it may stick, but will be very leery if he gets off with second test.  It will be short term bad for the sport to the casual public, but I think it is great for handicappers longer term cleaning out the bad.

SameSteve G

5/9/21

Pistol, I hope he gets popped good & proper.  I meant that trainer(s) continually deeking the system is bad for the sport, short & long term.

Having Baffert pay a real price = good for the sport in the short & long term.

He's been held up at the face of racing in the same way Armstrong became the face of cycling & many ballplayers were heroes until they became zeroes.

Sport need to be bigger than the players, IMO.

DogsUp

5/9/21

GMAFB.

The state troopers were knocking on my door this morning as I readied for church.

They served me with search warrant papers and confiscated all my handicapping materials and downloaded all my Forum DogsUp 2021and 9 years back Derby Diary notes.

My stuff will not be returned to me as I had drafted and won with Medina Spirit in our handicapping contest here on the forum. Alleged that Baffert called me and said he is the Tom Brady of Derby wins and told me to act surprised when colt wins. 

My blood sample came back positive for chianti  and a side of baked ziti. 

(d)

RAESFAN

5/9/21

Does that mean Medina Spirit scratches out of the Preakness?

princeofdoc

5/9/21

Hey Steve!  Yes, all over the news...

Can you tell me what the effect of Betamethasone is?  Is any amount legal?  Was it ever legal?  And is it covered up by the use of Lasix?

Thanks!

RAESFAN

5/9/21

Baffert said, “It’s disturbing. It’s an injustice to the horse. . . . I don’t know what’s going on in racing right now, but it’s not right. I don’t feel embarrassed, but I feel wronged.”

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks!" Shakespeare(Hamlet)

SameSteve G

5/9/21

DogsUp said:

My blood sample came back positive for chianti  and a side of baked ziti. 

Haha!  Hey, it's not the ziti, it's the marinara.  :)