Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

2021 2 year olds   Handicapping

Started 7/2/21 by smartyslew; 111783 views.
Wintertrian

Dec-4

One of my Classic Empires is racing at Tampa today, Old Town Road, odds are 6-1, Race 9. Stakes race. 
He's 3 for 3 (won at CDX, Keenland and Beltera with Wesley Ward but they were claiming races) I think he needs to stick to sprint races so not thinking a derby entry or anything.  Never heard of the new trainer, either. (Amador Merei Sanchez ) Doesn't look like he wins many stakes races either.   I liked the breeding w/Pioneering / Terlinga daughter of Big Red on female side, PON on sire side.  It's WIERD how some of these homebreds turn out?   Will be watching trying to figure this one out.   Tampa not a track I have ever even watched or followed so it will be fun to watch. 

smartyslew

Dec-4

Nice find  Winter . He has 2 Rasmussen Factors one with Terlinga on the Dam side as 

you mentioned  with Pioneering  and the Sire side  with Storm Cat , those 2 are Half brothers

The Other one is Princequillo's  Daughter with the X factor Quillesian 4m, in the 5th generation

of The Tff 4m  of Old Town Road and his Sire's tail female family Classic Empire 4m .

Makes you wonder if he landed on his feet the day he was born.

smartyslew

Dec-4

They are working and racing him as a sprinter ,today 4th straight sprint ,this one 6f.

He has early speed with a elite Classic pedigree. Keep an eye and look to see

if they stretch him out as a 3 yr old.

Wintertrian

Dec-5

Thank you. 

McPeek won with a first time starter today at OP  (MSWt), at 8F, Dash Attack  who is still a 2 year old.  (see my next note about 2 year old races at OP this year........hasn't happened since 1973.) 

16% Sire wins with 1st time Starters / Dam has 2 winners from 2 starters (now 3 from 3 starters) 
Hard Spun BMS

McPeek sure has a wealth of 2 year olds he is winning with! 

Wintertrian

Dec-5

P.S.  I'm sure ya noticed I said 2 year old.  Two year olds have not raced at Oaklawn since 1973!!

For the month of December, some trainers will start some 2 year old horses, each potential candidates for the KY Derby qualification.   They already had one which was the Advent Stakes on opening day.  Here are the results:
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/stakes-result/255353/advent-stakes-kavod

(I wouldn't get excited about him being around for the TC race, since this little guy has already race 9 times (Futurity Stakes,Champagne Stakes, With Anticipation Stakes, Sanford Stakes and Tremont Stakes and some non stakes races). He's actually a claimer that Chris Hartman got after his last race, which he did win.  But that's a lot of racing for such a youngster!)     But maybe he's an Iron Horse.  Who knows. This was only 6F.  There was also a Gun Runner colt in this race who ran 4th.  

The schedule of the other prep races will also change.    There used to be only 3 weeks between the AR Derby and the KY Derby.   Now it's 5 weeks.  Much better!  (used to be OPs 4 KY Derby qualifiers came in the 3rd weeks of Jan and Feb and then near the middle of March and April.    Now, they were moved for this season to Jan 1, Jan 29, Feb 26 and April 2nd).  (Smarty Jones, Southwest, Rebel and Arkansas Derby).   Running in the AR Derby now gives horses more rest time if they are going in the Ky Derby.   

OP is trying to keep with more modern times so are trying out this newer schedule.  Of course, there are many trainers who LIKED the 3 weeks between better.   I guess we'll see, but I think this will actually attract more horses to the REBEL Stakes and the ARKANSAS Derby? 

smartyslew

Dec-6

I like it. This change is good imo. More 2 and 3 's at Oaklawn can't hurt.

RAESFAN

Dec-10

Pletcher used to have the cream of the MTR crop in the early part of his stud career. I hadn't seen him with any in a while. I noticed he has a first time starter tomorrow at Gulfstream. Emmanuel, a $350K yearling purchase out of a Hard Spun mare, is scheduled to go a mile on the dirt in his debut. Tough distance to start out. Pedigree - {4-m} DP = 5-3-14-0-0 (22) DI = 2.14   CD = 0.59

Emmanuel was my mom's maiden name, so I would love nothing better than for him to turn out to be a good one. He has been working pretty well at Palm Beach.

• Edited December 10, 2021 9:23 pm  by  RAESFAN
smartyslew

Dec-11

Its almost race time ! Good luck

smartyslew

Dec-11

Before todays racing thru
12/10/21  top 2022 Kentucky Derby wannabe's listed A thru Z
I have none of the 2 yr old turfers on this list at this time.
That can change if they try the dirt and show promise to be competitive
tail female families are listed first.
----
9f Classic Causeway 2nd ken jockey club
3m Commandperformance
1x-Corniche
16g Double Thunder rf 1x
 21a  Epicenter
19c Giant Game  rf 2d
4r Gilded Age  rf 2 s
1l Home Brew
1e Jack Christopher
8h Key Point
4c Major General rf 3L
2f Mannix rf 2d
12b Messier
3g Mo Donegal
4m Octane  rf  1x
13 Overstep 
1x- Oviatt Class
2h Pappacap
16g Pinehurst
17b Rattle N Roll
10a Rockefeller rf  2s
6d Smile Happy 1st Ken. Jock. Club
42  Strava
1n Zatip 
------------------------------
Waiting in the Wings
-
12b Affable Monarch
4r A P's Secrets
6a All In Sync
3i  Bourbon Heist
22c Cajuns Magic
1L  Figlio Del Re
21a Freelancer rf 2s
 7f God Of Love (AW)
Golden Glider (AW)
14c Higher Standard
3j  Howling Time  otm
9f  HP Moon     8/21/21 ?                                    
4r Kamui 
8c Life Is Great
19c O Captain
1p Osbourne
4m Red Knobs
26 Rocket Dawg
21a Senbei  needs to stretch out
4r  Shipsational
12c Simplification rf 12c
16h Sir London
5j Smarten Up
1e  Spartan Army
4k Spin Wheel (T)  1st dirt 9f msw 11/27
1o Stellar Tap
7e Strike Hard
23b Tough To Tame
2o Trafalgar
9b Vance Scholars
1x Varatti
9f Walhalla
9e White Abarrio  3rd  Ken. Jockey Club
8c Win For The Money AW
3i Winterwood 
2b Witty rf 1x
4d Zandon 
James Aloysius injured
smartyslew

Dec-11

Sweet Raes , speed rationed out ,plus for a firster front runner.

I couldn't believe it, They are loading the gate, door Bell rings

answer the door and took awhile ,had it paused forever and I was Jacked to 

watch the race for one of your firsters. Thanks for the rush.