Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Name a better filly…   History

Started Aug-11 by notaclaimer; 2085 views.
notaclaimer

Aug-11

RUFFIAN   (USA) br. F, 1972 {8-c} DP = 18-13-15-4-0 (50) DI = 3.35   CD = 0.90 - 11 Starts, 10 Wins, 0 Places, 0 Shows Career Earnings: $313,428

ChiefsCrown

Aug-11

As great as Ruffian was you might get some kickback here for Zenyatta....19 wins, 1 place, 0 shows!......just sayin'

RAESFAN

Aug-13

"you might get some kickback here for Zenyatta."

Not from me! Ruffian all the way! Maybe it's because I was young and more easily "wowed".

Gerh

Aug-13

I would take Ruffian over Zen as well

In reply toRe: msg 2
SameSteve G

Aug-14

"Filly" denotes a 3 year old female horse.  Tragically, and as we all know, Ruffian died at 3.  Zenyatta was a late-bloomer & only raced 2 times at 3.

So, apples to apples,  Ruffian is far superior to Zenyatta & the only filly that comes to mind to approach but not surpass Ruffian, IMO, is Rachel Alexandra, who did things at 3 no other filly has ever done.

Zenyatta was one of the greatest distaff racers of all time.   The only other recent mares who share the same company in terms of winning machines are Black Caviar & my fav, Winx.

ChiefsCrown

Aug-14

Don't hear much news from Racheal Alexander anymore.

In reply toRe: msg 7
SameSteve G

Aug-14

Yes, to Enable.  Loved to win.  Slipped my mind this morning. 

Actually, not a stretch to also think of Goldikova who besides the 3-peat in the BC mile against all comers was only out of the money once in 27 lifetime starts.  Personally, I loved her & it was a real gut punch to learn she had passed very early this year.

smartyslew

Aug-14

Her record speaks for itself. Great 2 yr old and 3 yr old,

5.5 f thru 12f winner. no one ran like Her. Ghostzapper ran one race that reminded me of

Ruffian . Spend A Buck Derby win reminded me of her style. I don't recall, Ruffian ever

being headed. She had a near perfect Pedigree imo.. BP conduit Mare 8c

A Filly Triple Crown Winner . Who else has done that ? Look who the BMS is. Native Dancer

She has many lines of Family 8 and 5 in the right places within 5 generations.
Suggests she can carry Her speed a distance of ground 1f to 16f.
Merry Gal in 1900 Had the same Style @ 3 yr old, Dam of White Eagle who thru
stamina progeny. She lost twice , one at 2miles and 12f Epsom oaks, 2nd in both.

Her Dams progeny's

Horse Color Sex Year Sire BM Sire Record Earnings Family  
BUCKFINDER (USA)
...[Message truncated]
View Full Message
Gerh

Aug-14

Goldikova was exceptional.14 Group 1 victories.Treve and Zarkava have been pretty decent as well,but I would put Goldikova up there with Enable