Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Lets compare 2 recent UAE winners   Triple Crown

Started May-3 by Wintertrian; 919 views.
Wintertrian

May-3

Mubtaahij, the Irish-born son of Dubawi, flew 8,000 miles to run the KY Derby, after running 2 back-to-back 1-3/16th mile races in the same month,  among his 5 races coming into the Derby (all w/out any performance enhancing meds), plus had to re-adjust to a completely different hemisphere, he was at 3 different venues in a month, with feed changes, etc.  and if you remember, de Kock is super advanced technologically, he measures heart rate and stride length as part of his workout routine.  (only Canonero had two prep races longer than 1 1/8 miles coming into the Derby).  What is common is that Mub breezed 3-4 times a week, if you remember, raised eyebrows because he was working all the time, which is very common with euro horses, unlike ours who seem to spend more time standing around in barns. 
In the Derby he got post 6, with Soumillion aboard, ended up with a bad trip near the rail the whole way, and took at TON of dirt into his face, but considering he had no routine at CDX and only ran 9 lengths behind it was quite a feat. 

Of course, this was the year 2 Baffert's hit the Trifecta, American Pharoah 1st and Dortmund (RIP) 3rd

Why is Crown Pride different and similar?  

Mub ran 8th in the KY Derby but ran 4th in the Belmont Stakes.  For the Belmont Mub was there 3.5 weeks in advance, was able to establish more of a routine.  Unforutnately he drew the rail, but got Irad Ortiz in the irons.  That rail post wasn't a happy note for deKock, but he said he would just deal with it.   

Crown Pride certainly seems to have gotten a leg up on early arrival.  

smartyslew

May-3

I like Crown Pride getting here early, what is it a month or longer and it sounds like he is a happy horse

and I like what I have heard and seen so far. He has my respect already.

pianot

May-3

I think Smarty answered it. Came early, had a nice work, has a great jock, and didnt run two grueling races prior. We shall see.

ShaddyisBack

May-3

I wont leave him off because of this site, and last years Jap. horses doing well. Others years I would ignore and rightfully so.

Maybe they have arrived.

I fell the same with Zozos... Not thrilled with his pedigree for distance, yet, you build on LD and who knows right ? We have seen crazier things, especially with the FED, and our corrupt system. Haha... did I just break a law ? An internet law ?

Wintertrian

May-4

ShaddyisBack said...

and last years Jap. horses doing well

They did do well in the Breeders Cup races. Marche Lorraine in the Filly and Mare Turf, and Loves Only You in the Distaff.  

Not in the Derby yet though.  When they created the official race series with a points system for Japan, I think Lani was the 1st Japan bred horse to run in our KY Derby via The Road to The Derby Japan started in 2013...then Master Fencer came.      But back in 1995 Ski Captain tried (he was NOT Japan bred though, but bred here by the Yoshida family's Bluegrass operation then exported to Japan where he raced exclusively before coming back for the KY Derby.)  He ran 14th. 

Were there other ones who entered the KY Derby, if anyone remembers?

sovereign1

May-5

Were there other ones who entered the KY Derby, if anyone remembers?

I think you covered all the Japanese imports who ran in the Kentucky Derby. Otherwise, I think only Pepperidge Farm remembers.

In reply toRe: msg 3
Wintertrian

May-7

I was grateful for all those works CP put in, because otherwise, I never wager a horse to win a G1 like this if they are off more than 35 days since last race.   With Crown Pride, I felt he made up the furlongs by working into condition.   42 days since last race isn't a stat I like if they are not longshots.  Hence, my hesitancy to use Epicenter in the win spot. 

DogsUpWired

May-7

Only due to the Covid epidemic did the Japanese have to wait. They were already ready.

In reply toRe: msg 1
Pedigreestar

May-7

In my opinion to win Kentucky derby getting the points through UAE  Derby is the best chance for any outside trainer/owner. Last year winner of UAE Derby Rebel Romance  why was not run the Kentucky derby is a big mystery for me. Hence I feel Crown Pride as well as Summer is Tomorrow have better chance than other runners. AS such Epicenter should win this race and trainer may get the Elusive Derby.   

Regarding Japanese runners they are already making big impact on International stage. Dubai, Riyad, Hong Kong everywhere you see Japanese winning big numbers. If Summer is tomorrow wins looks very difficult I will be happy as Trainer Bhupat Seemar is an Indian based in UAE.

Ravi Gowande

Pedigreestar

Msg 1991.10 deleted