Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

What were you right about & wrong about   Triple Crown

Started May-8 by Wintertrian; 3721 views.
GamblingMel

May-9

Yep, I got the 2nd through 5th place finishers, just forgot to slot in old number 21 to come in first.   Still the best Derby in as long as I can remember!! 

GamblingMel

May-9

Me too . . . I did feel we'd see a surprise horse but I thought it would be Pioneer of Medina or TTB.   Sigh.   I do feel like if I'd had a bit more time to ruminate on the late entry, I may have gotten there.

GamblingMel

May-9

Taiba was number 12, the opposite of number 21.   Taiba had all the hype, that's for sure!

GamblingMel

May-9

It was shining bright, and in fact the astrologer said something about Shining.   Some of us were tuned in enough to enjoy the spoils.   I was not one of them!  Maybe next year!!

Msg 2004.35 deleted
princeofdoc

May-14

I am guessing that a new shooter will emerge and win horse of the year....

princeofdoc

May-14

I believe it was Ben Hogan who said in response to getting lucky to win a golf tournament:

"The more I practice, the luckier I get!"

In reply toRe: msg 37
cubs.fan

May-14

Wrong: pace was much faster than I anticipated. Barzalona/Lemaire thought go to the lead and win, forgot about going too fast.

Right: This year's rendition of the UAE Derby was one of the weakest in the points system era, and both were easy tosses.

Right: Louisiana was, again, the most productive route to the Derby. Turns out it was the Gun Runner Stakes had the exacta (Rich Strike beaten 10 lengths by Epicenter).

Right: Jeff Ruby Steaks was a very good race this year. Wrong about the one to include in all bets.

Wrong about a closer winning this race.

Other notes:

Points system, lasix-free is a new era for the Kentucky Derby. Key angles in 2021 didn't work in 2022. Pace makes the race.

smartyslew

May-14

Cubs, any idea when the last time  in this Century a horse was clocked at 44 miles an hour coming down the stretch?

I should say in North America !

Some Nascar followers suggest Leon was side drafting coming along side horses  thru the field to

sling shot his momentum and increase his speed and it was beautiful to watch.

Here is the List of North Americas 3 yr olds that have won at a Classic Distance 10f or further. Means a lot.

1 Rich Strike

cubs.fan

May-14

Just eyeballing the final 1/4, Mine That Bird might have come close since his final 1/4 was under 24.

Rich Strike ran the third fastest winning ground loss adjusted May Derby since 2011.

What's strange, what was happening in the 4th quarter mile of this race? No one ran under 26.2 and that seems odd for the race. For comparison, Essential Quality covered the same fraction in 24.47. Some of the closers may have waited too long to make their move.