Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Preakness Bets   General Discussions

Started May-11 by pianot; 10207 views.
Wintertrian

May-14

sovereign1 said...

Isn't this a slap to the face for the TC series?

Not at all.   I said a few days ago in emails to friends here that I did not think Rich Strike would run in the Preakness.    They don't believe in short rest, and they put the horse first. 

I think he will  be a good entry in the Belmont. 

I am not too much into the concept of horses as gladiators.  The ones that manage to win TC in modern times are suspect because of ........drugs, anyway.   That is called theft of a title.  Once the trainer in question is ever out of the sport we will see the truth of it better. 

twoshots

May-14

Which is why they need to space the TC races over several months to make it representative of how the top horses are raced these days. A May - June - July schedule for instance, Why force the connections to race back earlier than they would consider any other time in their horses’ lives?

sovereign1

May-15

The breed has changed a lot the past 20+ years and even more so for the last century. Like Wintertrian said, these horses are not (no longer) gladiators of the past. Most likely Lasix and drugs weakened the breed to the point of the whole being fragile. Back then, the spacing did not pose a problem other than fatigue, but that was, and still is, the challenge. Sometime between 1948 and 1973 they changed the spacing between the Derby and the Preakness from 1 week to 2 weeks.

ChiefsCrown

May-15

Armagnac?.....Yakteen's Quality Road entry in the Preak?

Never heard of this horse.

sovereign1

May-15

He does have the pedigree RAN/RAN with BP and PQ in the passing position through the BMS (Lemon Drop Kid - I love this guy!)

Gerh

May-15

He got fried in the San Felipe trying to go with Forbidden Kingdom.I think he finished 4th in the Santa Anita Derby at 70-1.

In reply toRe: msg 46
ChiefsCrown

May-15

Not familiar with this one. Read he'll set the pace with Early Voting. I'll say he goes off at +20/1 in the Preak? 

DogsUpWired

May-15

Armagnac  video all races. Never 

'herd' of him either. While searching never knew of Armagnac brandy 

https://youtu.be/-RJZiigF8h4

Preak peeps need 14 runners; a herd of colts. 

Looks like a colt that owners said why the heck not ..vicariously be in it

(d)

Wintertrian

May-16

sovereign1 said...

BMS (Lemon Drop Kid - I love this guy!)

Then you will appreciate this one, who won the Japan Road to the Derby back in 2020 and didn't come over.  I had been chatting with friends about him in email recently.  2020 Cattle Ya Sho, Lemon Pop, trained by Tanaka----Son of Lemon Drop Kid (who won the Belmont, Travers, Whitney, Woodward, Suburban and Brooklyn H.)  with Kingamambo grandsire.  Check out the pedigree:  https://www.pedigreequery.com/lemon+pop

He and the grey (Taeru Pegasus) were 10 lengths ahead of the rest of the field while they dueled it out!  So exciting!  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qdvHQts6LY

Turns out he may be better at shorter though, his race in the Kamakura (which took me a while to find) --- won by a ton again at age 4: 

https://mobile.twitter.com/LongBallToNoOne/status/1518112227966201856

Wintertrian

May-16

Oldbettowin said...

If one looks at his previous races, one thing becomes very clear—he needs a decent pace to run into.  He got it in the derby, but I’m not so sure he would have gotten it in the Preakness.

He got the pace, plus an absolutely death defying ride from Sonny Leon.   interesting before the race clocker reports showed him working very nicely and putting in same splits as Zandon, yet he wasn't considered "THE" closer.  Sonny outrode Prat and his move at the 1/8 pole was nothing short of fearless brilliance.  

Interesting how when a longshot wins the word cheating comes up, despite that nobody pointed that out with Baffert all those years and we had more than one other supertrainer in the derby this year who has plenty of drug overages.   We have Rich Strike, who never even ran on Lasix his entire career, and a trainer who doesn't have a blemished record filled with drug overage suspensions (like several other trainers in the race had). 

They did the same thing to Mine That Bird, cappers develop a dislike for horses that cost them a lot of $$ I think.  And turns out he wasn't a one-and-done, since he ran 2nd in the Preakness and 3rd in the Belmont that year.  He was peaking during this time for sure.   

I often wonder why cappers seem to denigrate horses and trainers who aren't super trainers.  They will pick Zandon but not Rich Strike, (And despite that the Bluegrass was one of the weakest prep races of all, with only 1 graded stakes winner in the entire race)--- Rich Strike,  who was working equally as well at CDX before the race (running same splits as Zandon in his 5F works) and had every right to win this, i.e. anyone who liked Zandon should have liked Rich Strike.