Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

R.I.P. Lester Piggot   General Discussions

Started May-29 by Gerh; 678 views.
Gerh

May-29

He passed away this morning in Switzerland.He was 86.

In reply toRe: msg 1
smartyslew

May-29

I enjoyed watching him coming down the stretch, he has his own style of racing, easy to pick out in a crowd,

Sometimes I thought he was going to fall off ! He made the most of it. One of a kind!

In reply toRe: msg 2
Wintertrian

May-31

Thank you for posting this.   A jockey with this kind of record is a testament to an amazing athlete, he not only raced flats, but hurdles as well?   And then went on to become a trainer at one point.  On so many different continents, the top races of the world.  I think the word "extraordinary" could have been coined for him. 

9 KY Derby wins including Nijinki, St. Ivor, Roberto. 
5 Irish Derby winners including Shergar
8 St. Leger winners
11 Royal Ascot Gold Cup winners 
116 Royal Ascot (other races) wins included (I think this is still a record?) 
U.S. Triple Crown win on Nijinki
and 
3x Arc de Triomphe winner (on Alleged x2 and Rheingold) 

And many other races too numerous to mention.   Kinda makes your head spin when you start looking at his record.   

PISTOL9

May-31

Wintertrian said:

9 KY Derby wins including Nijinki, St. Ivor, Roberto

I don't think Roberto and (I believe you meant Nijinsky?) were KY Derby winners.  I assume the other was meant to be Sir Ivor, not a KY winner either.  Perhaps you meant another Derby or Darby?

Wintertrian

May-31

I'm sure you are correct!   

My purpose was just to give the man his just desserts.  His career was so long and fruitful, and posts of this nature often do not receive enough response, so I was trying to flesh out a very long career in the short timeframe I had to devote to the post. 

Anyone here can feel free to highlight more *correctly* what his accomplishments were.   (Including correcting my SPELLING ERRORS. :) )    The horse(s) in question certainly deserve that, and so does Mr. Piggot.   

In reply toRe: msg 1
SameSteve G

Jun-6

Fitting tribute to one of the greatest of all time.  Let it not be said that Lester Piggott could not finish or judge a ride.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcG1CtF9U4k

smartyslew

Jun-6

Thanks Steve, love it !!, A Nice tribute riding some Heavyweights on the track and the breeding Shed.

SameSteve G

Jun-6

Heavyweights, indeed.  Glad you liked the clip.  I really enjoyed it.

Gerh

Jun-6

I remember watching Piggott,Cauthen,Carson and Pat Eddery when I was younger.I didn’t appreciate how good they were at the time

In reply toRe: msg 9
SameSteve G

Jun-6

Nice little article on that era featuring Steve Cauthen, if you haven't already seen it.  Says it took awhile for Lester to accept him but they became friends, finally.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2620139621631/exclusive-he-appreciated-me-and-i-appreciated-him-steve-cauthen-on-winning-over-lester-piggott-his-memorable-epsom-derby-wins-and-the-impact-he-made-on-british-racing