Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Mo Donegal Retired   General Discussions

Started Sep-17 by Wintertrian; 659 views.
Wintertrian

Sep-17

bone bruise.  

Some time in the pasture would do wonders, but heck, why break our tradition of retiring G1 winners at 3?  LOL  

U.S. Racing........ugh. 

SameSteve G

Sep-17

Couldn't agree more, WT.

By now, this is an old adage:

At one time horses were bred to race and now...they are raced to breed.

Raced off, that is, to the shed.

Ugh is right.

princeofdoc

Sep-17

Great turn of phrase, Steve!  I like it, maybe it will catch on....much is influenced by the greatest financial rewards, so I suppose "racing to breed" leads to higher compensation than "breeding to race".  Not sure the answer, but maybe increasing purses for older horses?

SameSteve G

Sep-17

I can take no credit for the phrase.  It's been around for years.  I like it though so I have been known to reiterate it.

Make it a rule, like the Japanese.  NO breeding until 5 years old.

Make the breeders and the owners bite the bullet for a change.

ChiefsCrown

Sep-18

Not surprising. Figured if Mo didn't make the Travers in late August after 60+ days off the inevitable would happen and it did.

Off topic, read on another blog Cezanne was euthanized. I can't find any info on that story and of what was he euthanized from?

You happen to know about this story??

SameSteve G

Sep-18

Hey Chief.  Yeah, I did hear about Cezanne yesterday from the same source that our friend pianot just linked to in this thread.

Given the fact that the US leads the world in horse fatalities from racing and training. the US sport could do much more to take the avoidable deaths out of the equation.

Profit before principles is a lousy way for humans to go thru life.

ChiefsCrown

Sep-18

I guess you could call the horse trade in some respects. Who trained Cezanne? Was it Baffert or was he transferred over to Pletcher?

In reply toRe: msg 6
ChiefsCrown

Sep-18

Didn't see this, just read it. Transparency???? Can't believe he passed 2 months ago and we're just hearing about this!

I spent 2 months in the hospital and i had to download an app called MyChart.

Gives everything you'd ever want to know about your stay there. Maybe they should come up with something of that nature for thoroughbreds as well, not only the minimal info given on past performance sheets. Then again why would they, we'd have a leg up on handicapping!

pianot

Sep-18

Exactly, if one all the pieces of a puzzle, there's a good chance they'll put it together.