Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Gunrunner in the Razorback   General Discussions

Started 2/20/17 by Wintertrian; 588 views.
Wintertrian

2/20/17

Just wanted to say, he looks like an absolute BEAST.  Filled out and looking quite powerful.

But seems like he doesn't prefer a wet track, so wondering if he will scratch.  Terrible day to make it back to the races.  He looks so good!

In reply toRe: msg 1
Wintertrian

2/20/17

Gunrunner pretty much blew them off the track.  :)

Too bad about the pegasus.  I think he would have nailed it.

svdt

2/20/17

I'm a big fan and I want to believe, as the year progresses, that he can pose some sort of challenge to Arrogate.  But it does seem fair to note that Arrogate beat him by about 15 lengths at the Spa and Arrogate was also in the Pegasus, if memory serves :) 

In reply toRe: msg 3
RAESFAN

2/20/17

He was awesome! I am interested to see the beyer. I predict at least 110!

svdt

2/20/17

It sounds like maybe he's taken a big step forward since the end of last year, even though not that much time has elapsed. I like all horses by Candy Ride, and i definitely want Baffert's big horse to face some competition this year. 

In reply toRe: msg 5
RAESFAN

2/20/17

He is a very consistent, talented runner that will win a lot of races and money. I would rate him right after Arrogate. Can he make up the ground? I would like to see Arrogate pushed to the max, that's for sure.

In reply toRe: msg 5
RAESFAN

2/21/17

Looks like I was on target with the 110 beyer prediction. One Liner got a 102!

SameSteve G

2/21/17

Based on numbers, which we all know aren't wholly predictive, Gunrunner (and I'm also a fan) will have to improve in order to mount a winning bid against Arrogate should they meet.

Now, at this time, we can't know the specific projected race dynamics of that potential match up; how it might mitigate in favor of one or the other.

Gunrunner is very, very good but past performances indicate Arrogate is simply great.

Should the race come to pass, the betting end, if one should choose to indulge, will come down to price & perceived value.  Frankly, I'm a fan of both & would likely just watch.  :)

svdt

2/21/17

That's an accurate prediction!

Steve is right about the distance between Arrogate and the rest of the division at this point, but, it's early in the year.  Even though I am somewhat of a fan of Arrogate, the prospect of him winning every race this year in machine like fashion leaves me a bit cold.   

In reply toRe: msg 9
RAESFAN

2/21/17

I love Arrogate, but like you, I don't want to see him run off to easy wins. I want them to get to the "bottom" of him, so I can see just what's there. I hope he stays healthy and that Unbridled's Song injury bug doesn't hit him. I was really disappointed when we lost Shared Belief. I want to enjoy this one, even if it's just for this year.