Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Gary Stevens - anybody keeping up w/him?   General Discussions

Started Mar-8 by Wintertrian; 193 views.
Wintertrian

Mar-8

heard his docs cleared him to start riding again in March.    

Knee replacement previously, latest is hip replacement.   Tough surgeries, this guy is hard as nails!

Really wish him the very best. 

honneerider

Mar-9

Gary Stevens finished 2nd in the 4th race at SA today.

His first race back. 

SameSteve G

Mar-10

The man is extraordinarily tough, physically gifted & very, very smart.  One of the best riders of all time.  I admire him.

Wintertrian

Mar-10

SameSteve G said...

The man is extraordinarily tough, physically gifted & very, very smart.  One of the best riders of all time.  I admire him.

Add lucky to that list, not because of his wins, but because he seems to have found the thing that is his avocation/vocation, retirement is not for him, he loves what he does.   I admire him, but also envy him in this sense.  :)

SameSteve G

Mar-10

There's no question that Stevens loves it.  He wouldn't have come back from major injuries, including coma, collapsed lung, many broken bones & joint replacements unless he truly loved it.

Heck, he could have continued to act.  He's good at that, too.  Better than many so called actors.

Or, kept the gig in the announcers' booth.

I read that he started working around horses for his father when he was 8 years old.  Apparently, he liked it.  :)