Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

Under the radar race today at SA   Triple Crown

Started Mar-9 by princeofdoc; 241 views.
princeofdoc

Mar-9

7th at SA, in less than 20 minutes, features two of Baffert's (Reach the World and Irish Freedom) and one of Hollendorfer's, Battle of Midway.  I like Irish Freedom, hope he runs well and fast!

Gerh

Mar-9

Turned out to be a good race.Reach The World looked pretty washed out going into the gate and then broke slowly.Ran well to finish second while gaining valuable experience.Battle of Midway looked really professional.I would expect both to be in the Santa Anita Derby

In reply toRe: msg 2
princeofdoc

Mar-9

Battle of Midway was impressive, and I think you're right, he'll go to the SA Derby next to qualify for the Derby with a 1st or 2nd.  However, Reach The World may need another week, and I doubt Baffert will run him against Mastery, so I'm guessing he ends up at OP the following week for the Ark Derby.  He impressed me the most, visually, after a slow break and as you said, not so good at the post.  The time for the race was rather slow, but SA has been quite slow lately, so perhaps they both end up at CD the first Saturday of May.

My choice, Irish Freedom, ran poorly off a long break, had the worst post and break.  I look for him to come back in 3 or 4 weeks in another Alw race and win!

The surprise of the race was the filly, Vexatious, who handled herself quite professionally....she rallied for 3rd after being shuffled back around the far turn.  There are so few Alw races that Drysdale had to enter her against the boys?  Or does he have designs on her running in the SA Derby?

Gerh

Mar-9

Ark Derby makes sense for Reach The World.Today was a great learning experience for him.Looked like Irish Freedom just tired but as you said he will come back strong.

On another note,I wonder who Baffert will send to the Sunland Derby.

In reply toRe: msg 2
fivestaryak

Mar-9

Battle Of Midway looked good for the distance.  His bottom is short but the same lines as Saarland; not sure how that will serve him stretching.

smartyslew

Mar-9

as you know the first two finishers are apollo curse horses and i like reach the worlds 
chances of making the derby field when both stretch out.

still apollo curse might need a foundation like bodemeister with 29 weeks of workouts
before his first race. 

princeofdoc

Mar-9

Yes, I knew they were both Apollo curse horses.....but I still think the 150-1 I got on Battle of Midway was a fair enough price.  The price was still available on WH after today's race, as not many were watching.

fivestaryak

Mar-9

It will be interesting to see where Bob sends his contenders.  Hoping he ships Reach The World; don't need another Midnight Interlude.  I thought he might give Hot Sean a points look but he's short on works.  Another tough spot for poor Bob. 

Hollendorfer should probably think about shipping as well.

Believe Conquest Mo Money's connections will need to chip in that late money before Sunland; not that he'll scare off Bob.

smartyslew

Mar-9

don't be surprised if bob sends american anthem to sunland to run on that cement track
with that style. i don't think he wants to run AA against the group running this weekend at SA.

fivestaryak

Mar-9

ditto.  Hollendorfer is between a 'rock and a hard place' with his charge and probably needs to find a 'rock and hard place'.