Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussion

San Felipe   Triple Crown

Started Mar-10 by princeofdoc; 1024 views.
princeofdoc

Mar-10

So far this season, no horse has distinguished itself as a monster heading to the Derby.  This race at Santa Anita brings Mastery that opportunity.  If he defeats this field easily, running fast enough to impress going forward, he'll deserve the Derby favoritism.  But in each prep thus far, something different has happened....so maybe it will again.  I am curious to see if Iliad can stretch his speed.

But what are the connections of Bluegrass Envy thinking?!?  Loses 5 maiden races, the last few in a diminishing pattern, then works slowly in FL.....and then they think to ship him to contest against the best 3 year olds out west?!?  As dogs would say, he is the delta horse in this race....to finish last!

Wintertrian

Mar-10

The only way to get stakes experience is to run in a stakes.

Races fall apart, sometimes an errant horse gets lucky and runs ITM.

Or maybe owner wants to see "what they got".  Maybe the owner wants Box Seats or just the excitement and thrill of running in a Big Prep. 

I would have to know more about why the horse is entered, and I don't have that backstory.  I actually LOVE horses jumping way up in class, sometimes, it shows trainer confidence.  This one though, I can't figure.  :)

Today OP race 6, bet a horse to win by a very lesser trainer, but he is good with horses running their first route, and he got the services of Jon Court, who has heated up the last few weeks. ..... never ran a route ----but got boxed in in last and looked like he was moving.  13 horses in the field no less, couldn't find anyone who thought he'd run better than 9th. Paid $47.60 for the win.  You just never know.

As for the San Felipe, no point in betting the race at all for me as gormley, iliad and mastery will all be chalk.  

that said, I'm all in on GORMLEY.  

SameSteve G

Mar-11

Wintertrian said:

I actually LOVE horses jumping way up in class, sometimes, it shows trainer confidence.

I like it, too.  Slightly off topic, but there is a trainer in NY, Bobby Barbara & I used to bet him blindly (this is approx. 20 years ago) when he jumped a horse two claiming levels at Aqueduct.  It didn't always happen but it happened often enough that is was a solid, in the black angle because the winners were price horses.  Good old days.  ;)

cubs.fan

Mar-11

I think the pace and the distance fits Iliad best. I think Vending Machine has a chance to finish in front of one of the other two favorites.

In reply toRe: msg 4
Wintertrian

Mar-11

Well Gormley, who I honestly thought was the best horse in CA this year, struggled to keep up with Mastery/get the distance and Iliad also threw in the towel. 

:(

SameSteve G

Mar-11

I just saw that Mastery was injured (condylar fracture) in the race.  Unfortunate for a nice colt.

Surgery scheduled for Monday.

Wintertrian

Mar-11

a real shame.  :(

This derby season may be just what pushes me over to foreign turf racing.  

I dunno if it's the drugs or the breeding but the horses this derby season seem like they can barely run 1-1/16th mile

Speaking of turf, Dortmund didn't hit the board in his turf race today under new trainer   :(

RAESFAN

Mar-11

Too bad, he was dominant!

In reply toRe: msg 8
RAESFAN

Mar-11

Nice colt named American Pastime(Tapizar) debuted today at SA also. Too late for the Derby, but is one to follow.

princeofdoc

Mar-12

Saw that too.....maybe in time for Preakness? Amazing debut.....