Horse Racing Forum

Hosted by Cindy Dulay (CindyDulay)

This is a place for friendly and civil discussion of horse racing of all types including handicapping.

MEMBERS
    POSTS TODAY

Discussions

Thunder Snow - strange behavior   General Discussions

Started 5/7/17 by Wintertrian; 1499 views.
Wintertrian

5/7/17

I remember Life at Ten........bad reaction to lasix.

The highest incidence of lasix reaction is the 1st time administered, and the 2nd time administered. There is tons of research on this.

I see TS was racing on lasix here for first time

That, and the fact that he obviously HATED the mud.  

And may have been uncomfortable on top of that, going w/out water all day due to Lasix admin.

SameSteve G

5/7/17

Water is not withheld prior to the administration of lasix.  Lasix is given 4 hours prior to the race & then water is withheld.  Water was withheld all day PRIOR to the advent of lasix as a method to manage potential EIPH events.

That said, TS may have had a bad reaction to the drug. It happens but that is uncommon when compared to those who move up.  That was proven conclusively by the highly regarded Hinchcliff study of 2009.

The lasix had nothing to do with F & A barreling into TS at the start.  Nor, did the slop set him off to bucking,IMO.  He won in off-going in Dubai.   I would have liked to see just how much he "hated" the slop if he had a chance to run.  

Here's a link to the paper if you want to read it:

https://rmtcnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Study-_JAVMA_Furosemide1.pdf

honneerider

5/7/17

It was pouring on Friday at Churchill. They never took TS out to get his feet wet? To satisfy their curiosity? Certainly more than an "off track"!

It appeared Churchill did not do much to try getting the water out of the track-I could be wrong, as I was not afforded the opportunity to watch all day

SameSteve G

5/7/17

They should have.  The observations that have been made by many that he hated the conditions may be true.  The post parade, etc.

But the true marker is how they go in the race, no?

I think once a track gets saturated to the point it cannot take any more water, what can they do?.  The entire cushion is saturated, the substrate is saturated.  The water pools on top.  What can be done at that point? If there was no racing, they could run tines through it to expose more surface for quicker drying but they were racing.   Calling track maintenance!  Track maintenance!

Wintertrian

5/7/17

SameSteve G said...

The lasix had nothing to do with F & A barreling into TS at the start.  Nor, did the slop set him off to bucking,IMO.  He won in off-going in Dubai.   I would have liked to see just how much he "hated" the slop if he had a chance to run.  

So what is the conclusion?  Seems like F& A knocking into him like that really set him off.......

If it had been the favorite and not the foreign horse, all kinds of excuses would be offered.  Instead, what I am seeing on forums is that he is THE WORST HORSE in all of KY Derby history.  

SameSteve G

5/7/17

Wintertrian said:

what I am seeing on forums is that he is THE WORST HORSE in all of KY Derby history.

Foolish, of course, but good.  Why?  If he's the worst & he beat Epicharis, what will those same pundits think of Epicharis in the Belmont?  I'm rubbing my hands together, Winter.

Why hasn't anyone tried to talk to Soumillon (or have they?) to find out from the guy on the horse's back what happened?  All we know is that he's not hurt.

The other point you make about if he was the favorite?  Bulls-eye.  Look how long & hard Baffert whined & moaned after Lookin at Lucky got stubbed on the rail.  Post 1, Post 1, it sucks, it's unfair.

Imagine how disappointed TS's connections are.  It seems they carry the same class their horse exudes.  Did they moan?  I may have missed it.

I hope there is some comprehensive reporting from Dubaisoon so we can actually learn something.  The US reporters are too busy loving on Teflon to perform old-school journalism.

Wintertrian

5/7/17

Well there's been a FEW comments.  Heard thru the grapefine your horse, McCraken, wiill not be able to go on to the preakness due to injury yet googled it in every way I know how and unable to find any news on this?

Post race reporting on the biggest race in the US is sadly lacking.

RAESFAN

5/7/17

You are probably spot on with everything you said. The only thing I would quibble with is the off track in Dubai didn't look to have nearly as much moisture as CD yesterday.

In reply toRe: msg 7
Wintertrian

5/7/17

one of commenters said sun came out, looked like he jumped his shadow.........who knows. probably a combination of a lot of things.

SameSteve G

5/7/17

No doubt.  Different conditions.